Scuba Club Cozumel - Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pnw_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
My LDS is sponsoring a trip to Cozumel at a very attractive price, with lodging and boat dives at Scuba Club Cozumel resort. I've budgeted enough money to take 2 or 3 dive trips over the next year and want to spend wisely. Does anyone have any recent experience with this resort/dive operator?

We LOVE it. I think it is best deal on Cozumel for quality and diving opportunity.
Check out my website for photos, trip reports, and videos. Jlyle, also here on SB, has tons of trip reports and photos, too. Just do a search.

robin:D

We LOVE it. I think it is best deal on Cozumel for quality and diving opportunity.
Check out my website for photos, trip reports, and videos. Jlyle, also here on SB, has tons of trip reports and photos, too. Just do a search.

+1 on SCC. I was there 14 years ago when it was called Galapagos Inn and hadn't been back since until August of this year. Went for a week on Aug 20th and realized how much I enjoyed myself. Just booked another 10 days starting on Oct 29th and can't wait.

IMHO, the only problem with SCC (and probably others on Cozumel) is that their packages only offer 2 boat dives a day, but they are wonderful dives. I can understand this because of the distance to the dive sites but there are some closer sites that could be used for a 3rd boat/tank dive for those that wanted one.. but they don't offer this option. They do offer unlimited shore diving, which is nothing special anywhere in Cozumel.

Any other dives you do are add on dives. They have a Twilight/Night Dive (2 tanks, one at twilight and one night dive) which they charge $65.00 for and you have to have 6 divers or they won't go. Any other night dives during the week are also extra. So basically the package includes 2 boat dives a day unless your LDS is getting them to add on some dives as part of the package. You used to be able to take a cab up to the pier and drift down for a nice night dive but they are expanding the pier and have it blocked off.. so that option is not there any more.

The resort is great (and spotless). The staff is wonderful and the food is outstanding. They offer a great buffet breakfast and the coffee is always on very early just outside the restaurant for the early risers. Lunch and dinner always have 3 different choices each and a nice variety which you pick at the head of the breakfast line.

They have a great 24/7 web cam Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort - Cozumel, Mexico and depending on what time zone you are in you can watch the boats come just before 8 am (Cozumel time) and watch the divers load on and head out for the morning. But be forewarned, you will get hooked on it the closer you get to your trip and will drool watching everyone gather and load up to go diving.:popcorn:

They are always doing something to keep the place in tip top shape. In August they were remodeling the upstairs restaurant so we had to use the lower one. That wasn't a problem for the guests but the staff had to carry all the orders from upstairs to downstairs because that is where the kitchen is located.

The DiveMasters and boat crews are very very helpful and attentive. They have lockers for your dive gear (take a lock) and the distance to the pier where you load onto the dive boats from anywhere in the resort is only about 30 seconds.

It is within easy walking distance to downtown or a cheap cab ride if you don't want to walk. It is a shorter walk to the grocery store to load up on beverages for the mini-fridges in the room. They charge for ALL beverages for lunch, dinner and in between (beer, pop, iced tea, hard stuff) and you settle up at the end of the week. You can't take outside purchased beverages into the restaurant so if you want anything with your meals you have to pay for it, other than ice water.

There are no TV's, radio or newspapers.. so your week will be one of diving and relaxation. They have WiFi all around the resort so your laptop will work. I've heard there are some dead spots but I saw antenna's everywhere.

They have 24/7 security at the front gate, a dive shop just across the street (it's closed on Sunday) and parking just across the street if you want to rent a scooter or car. The security is always watching the street and parking area.

Some of the above sounds like I'm dissing them but I'm not, just telling you the rules.

You won't go wrong going to SCC, I enjoyed my stay 14 years ago and more so in August.. so I'm going back at the end of this month !!

Hope this helps.

I'm a fan. We've been going to the Galapago Inn, oops, Scuba Club Cozumel for twenty years. Like Chris, we were there in August and will return for another couple of weeks this month.

You can look at my pictures and read about our trips by clicking on my web below.

The only thing I can add to Chris' comment is that I find shore diving in front of SCC to be wonderful - look at my pictures and you will see why. Yes, Chris, offshore isn't Palancar, but it's wet, it's warm, and I get to play with my camera underwater!!!!

Any questions, send me a PM.

I'm a fan. We've been going to the Galapago Inn, oops, Scuba Club Cozumel for twenty years. Like Chris, we were there in August and will return for another couple of weeks this month.

You can look at my pictures and read about our trips by clicking on my web below.

The only thing I can add to Chris' comment is that I find shore diving in front of SCC to be wonderful - look at my pictures and you will see why. Yes, Chris, offshore isn't Palancar, but it's wet, it's warm, and I get to play with my camera underwater!!!!

Great photos and commentary on your web site !!!

Enjoy your upcoming trip to SCC, I think we overlap by about 4 day, I'll try to say hello !!

Place is amazing - IF your intention is to relax and dive. DMs are all good, rooms are CLEAN and the food is really good. I was there last month and at least half of the people we met during the trip have been coming there once or twice a year for at least a decade. That kind of loyalty speaks more to the quality and consistency of SCC's operation then anything I could say here. While I am sure there are many other great places on COZ to stay, I am pretty sure that SCC will be my accommodation of choice on all of my return trips to COZ.... I cannot see how anywhere else could beat the value SCC offers.

And it's close enough to town to walk if you are looking for something else to do...

one of the cool things about SCC is the shore diving area. No other place on the island has a setup this good. I shot a video just to show what it is like. We did the dive at least once a day, saw new things each time like 5 different types of eels!

[vimeo]11565537[/vimeo]

Love your videos Robin.
To the OP. My friends here in CA go to COZ every year and they always stay at SCC and they just love the place. I took a walk into it last year and it is a very nice place.

Thanks for all the useful input. Based on all the positive reviews, I'm sure I'll have a great time!

one of the cool things about SCC is the shore diving area. No other place on the island has a setup this good. I shot a video just to show what it is like. We did the dive at least once a day, saw new things each time like 5 different types of eels!

Wonderful video Robin and excellent music to watch by.. can't wait to go back !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom