Scuba Choice Scuba 90 deg Adaptor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmarks

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I usually dive with a 7-foot primary hose and a necklaced second, but I'm going to be doing my SSI Assistant Instructor training next month and I want to simplify things as much as possible for the in-water drills, specifically the simulated rescues, so I'm temporarily switching my primary to a 40" hose, but keeping the necklace. With the 40" hose, I'm hoping to still route it under my arm, so I am looking for a 90 or 110 degree angle adaptor.

Has anybody ever used any of the angle adaptors from Amazon branded by Scuba Choice Scuba? Like this one or this one? The price seems right, unless it's just going to kill me.

I'd highly recommend getting a ball swivel from Cave Adventurers instead. The fixed elbows are a righteous PITA when clipping off
Like this one? I was avoiding swivels because one of my instructors early on constantly harped about them being just another failure point (but looking back on it, he was just another failure point...) What makes a fixed angle problematic when clipped off? I'm also planning to put this on my primary, so being clipped off isn't really a concern.

That's even cheaper except for shipping. It basically works out to the same price, but I at least feel like DGX is a known, reputable supplier.

@kmarks the elbows are just as prone to failure as the swivels. I have only ever seen the swivels fail if they are not maintained properly, typically by failing to use blue loctite when they are reassembled.

When the regulator is clipped off it dangles funny which is rather annoying. I guess if it is a temporary solution it's fine, but if it's just for that course I'd be more tempted to use a 32" hose like GUE used to with their single tank rig. It's what we have on our pool rigs and it's not the most streamlined of things, but if it's temporary then it's fine.

@kmarks the elbows are just as prone to failure as the swivels. I have only ever seen the swivels fail if they are not maintained properly, typically by failing to use blue loctite when they are reassembled.

When the regulator is clipped off it dangles funny which is rather annoying. I guess if it is a temporary solution it's fine, but if it's just for that course I'd be more tempted to use a 32" hose like GUE used to with their single tank rig. It's what we have on our pool rigs and it's not the most streamlined of things, but if it's temporary then it's fine.
That's a good point, and I was thinking about that, too, and wondering if maybe the swivel is just more of a problem. It's still two connection points, either way, though. This guy was also firmly in the "all rebreathers are trying to kill you" camp.

Did GUE use a 32" hose for air donation? That seems really close. SSI does 100% primary donate, although right now, we only teach a simulated regulator switch. The diver with air takes their primary out and holds it towards the OOA diver, who takes their reg out and they tap them together, simulating the handoff, then both switch to their alternates. Isn't COVID fun?

I actually just ordered two of those swivels. I think I'm actually going to go ahead and make that part a permanent thing, even when I switch back to my 7-foot hose. You'll get your commission when it ships. :wink:

That's a good point, and I was thinking about that, too, and wondering if maybe the swivel is just more of a problem. It's still two connection points, either way, though. This guy was also firmly in the "all rebreathers are trying to kill you" camp.

Did GUE use a 32" hose for air donation? That seems really close. SSI does 100% primary donate, although right now, we only teach a simulated regulator switch. The diver with air takes their primary out and holds it towards the OOA diver, who takes their reg out and they tap them together, simulating the handoff, then both switch to their alternates. Isn't COVID fun?

I actually just ordered two of those swivels. I think I'm actually going to go ahead and make that part a permanent thing, even when I switch back to my 7-foot hose. You'll get your commission when it ships. :wink:

it was either 32" or 36" I can't remember, but it's not that bad to deal with. You are close in an air share, but in recreational environment you're holding the receiving diver anyway. I find it is a lot easier to manage than a 40" hose which requires very diligent clipping off since it isn't held behind your neck.

Back
Top Bottom