Scuba Chat Error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UAE is odd when it comes to what's blocked and what's not, and it may depend on an individual censor at times (what catches the bureaucrat's eye at any particular moment). They don't like anything that looks like dating or meeting people online, and a lot of online chat is "romance" specific, so it's possible the UAE found one or more dating-type chats hosted by addonchat and just blocked the whole shebang, though you'd think it would then be impossible to get into the demo chatroom too, unless it's hosted through a different server and IP.

Once I was doing a guest-instructor thing with a single divers board, and that board was blocked even though it's not a dating site at all. As I recall, there was a way to write to the censors to ask why a site was blocked, and I did that, receiving an answer from them several weeks later that the scuba site was deemed a dating site. I was in UAE for work purposes for a couple of weeks and wanted to be in easy touch with my students. Because it was a temporary assignment, I didn't pursue trying to get it unblocked, so I have no idea how that might work.

I tried to post about this last week, but my internet was incredibly bad.

Here's a few things to consider about our chat. If you are using Windows XP, your chances of getting on with Explorer are nil to squat. Microsoft has stopped its support for XP and that includes allowing you to use the latest Flash and Java in Explorer. Chrome and Firefox users have no issues with this and if chat is important to you, then its time to move to something new (either browser or OS).

Secondly, our current configuration initiates a "pop-up" window for chat. You must allow this for chat to work.

Thirdly, we have not gotten the final code from our vendor which will make this a bit easier for us all. I can't give you a timeline for it either. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Pete, we've been working through this for the past couple of days and it really appears to be a UAE censorship issue - it appears they're blocking access to the chat server - yet he can access SB:
I am using the latest FireFox, version 4.01. I tried it on another laptop using Windows vista and it is the same problem. First laptop is using Windows 7.
So he shouldn't be having any problems. IMO it's definitely IP/firewall related.

Back
Top Bottom