Scuba BSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI:
... My Liability covers the Camp as a insured.....

Is this automatic or do you have to fill out additional insurance forms....or do you just have the Camp's name in the "facility" fields...assuming you are using PADI's standard forms/folders?

Otter:
Is this automatic or do you have to fill out additional insurance forms....or do you just have the Camp's name in the "facility" fields...assuming you are using PADI's standard forms/folders?

First of all I'm not insured with V&B as I also do Cave instruction. Most liability insurance allows you to list "also insured" at no additional costs. Just check with who you are insured with. I only had to mention the BSA Camp on mine as additional insured. My insurance is automatic to the pool I'm training in but it is better to have it listed as a Additional insured

Most insurance is "automatic" but the facilities like to see their name in print.

Thanks for this thread. I passed the brochure link to my OW instructors and printed it out to take out to Lake Mead last week when I went diving. The guy we dove with out there works with scouts frequently and is excited about letting them earn something directly from the boy scouts.

To answer a question that someone asked, and I didn't see a direct reply, yes a kid can do it alone rather than as a group. Like the BSA Snorkeling, it is signed off on a separate sheet by a scuba instructor (doesn't have to be PADI). My son is 13 and isn't interested in getting the patch right now. I suspect that if we have to do a scuba refresher sometime, though, he'll get it then.

Thank you for the link to the new Scout Board!

My 13 year old son got certified last year as a 12 year old. I downloaded the PDF file telling about the scubaBSA program and took it into the dive shop to find out about it. They called the scout office for more specifics and then signed his application for the patch. The age requirements for the patch is 101/2. All other scuba activities require the boys be 14. Does anyone know if there is a good reason why they don't have a scuba merit badge?

spiderman

the reason is that BSA national doesnt support it as a normal troop activity and the fact that if a accident were to occur the could would be literally sued out of exsistence(a little extreme but realistic in this day and age) plus scuba is considered a high adventure activity and subject to more stringent standards then normal BSA activities

the other one is that merit basges arent designed as a "certification" but more of a experince program to learn about that particular subject

but also i think you need to go reread the guidelines because the standards are 14 and thats in the pdf file and in the Safe Guide to Scouting for which national produces.

hope this helps, if you have anymore feel free to ask because i am helping my council build a program locally that will be good and a addition to the program already in place at the summer camp

Scubatooth

I am the Divemaster for South Lake Divers here in Clermont (central) Florida, we are curently training several Boy Scout Troops in the area. It has been a rewarding experiance and a great pleasure to work with these young men. They have excelled in their classroom and pool training, listened intently to the Instructor and preformed fabuliously in their open water training. I applaud the Boy Scout Orginazation and have many fond memories of my own time in the BSA. I only wish they offered this training back then! Of course we would have been diving with milk jugs and rocks in our pockets!!!

Thanks for this thread. Last week we gave 11 scouts their BSA Scuba patches at our Court of Honor. The badges were earned last month at Diver Dan's in San Jose, many thanks to Dan Galander (wilediver on this board) for sharing his time with this group of scouts as our instructor.

Rob

After much effort from our Scoutmaster and the local Scout Store, National sent the Scuba award for my 12 year old son. He was the first one in the troop and possibly the state to receive this award. We didn't tell him that it actually came through and he was VERY surprised at the Court of Honor this past Tuesday. I think the confusion in this thread is that to actually do open water diving as a Scout outing they must be 14. To achieve the Scuba Award they only have to be of Scouting age since it's in confined water.

spyder:
After much effort from our Scoutmaster and the local Scout Store, National sent the Scuba award for my 12 year old son. He was the first one in the troop and possibly the state to receive this award. We didn't tell him that it actually came through and he was VERY surprised at the Court of Honor this past Tuesday. I think the confusion in this thread is that to actually do open water diving as a Scout outing they must be 14. To achieve the Scuba Award they only have to be of Scouting age since it's in confined water.
My son was awarded his last tuesday also. We had the form turned in a while back, but had to wait for the Court of Honor. All the other boys were real interested after it was over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom