Scuba BSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does my son have to have his swimming merit badge first or does the 200 yard swim to get his O/W c-card count? I've been talking to the scoutmaster and dive shop without a lot of success due to the newness, everyone is interested in figuring this out. Is there a link to what paperwork needs to be filled out and who can sign off? He won't be getting his swimming merit badge until camp this summer and he wants the patch for his trunks before he gets there.

Well... he has to be 14 first. After that, all he needs is to be certified and then pass the skills. BSA does not promote scuba diving (or any high adventure activity) for those under 14. That means that he can't get the patch until he turns 14.

No, he does NOT have to be 14 for the Scuba BSA Award, only to be certified as a BSA activity. As I previously posted from the SCUBA BSA brochure: "While the scuba BSA program is open to qualified participants of Boy Scout age, additional scuba training as a BSA activity is limited to those 14 or older."

From the Information For Counselors Section: ...Scuba BSA has a prerequisite swimming requirement, is only available to youth and adults registered in the Boy Scouting or Venturing programs (minimum age around 10 1⁄2), and does not include the option of an open-water dive.

Scouts must complete a standard Swimmer's Test before any other requirements.

There are no pre-requisites except the Swimmer's Test.

So you are saying that he could earn this in the pool and still be within the G2SS? How do you earn this other than "as a BSA activity"? Even if only on an individual level?

This is copied verbatum from the G2SS
The use of scuba is not authorized for BSA unit, district, or council activity, including summer camp programs, except that registered Boy Scout youth and leaders may participate in the Scuba BSA program conducted by a certified dive instructor in compliance with this policy. Scuba BSA is not a diver certification program.

Scuba training programs may be a part of Varsity or Venturing activities for participants who are 14 years of age or older. Members who meet the age requirement and are properly certified may participate in group dives under the supervision of a responsible adult who is currently certified as a dive master, assistant instructor, or any higher rating from NAUI, PADI. or SSI. Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor. No exceptions to the BSA age requirement are permitted. Scouts and Venturers with a junior diver certification may dive only when accompanied by a buddy who is a certified open-water diver at least 18 years old.

In essence, ScubaBSA allows a "Discover Scuba" in the pool only and does not allow any open water experience. What I copied was verbatum from the Scuba BSA brochure, and is in-line with the Safety Standards as it is not a "Scuba Training program" leading to certification.

I've temporarily posted the brochure at Scuba BSA Brochure , it is a 3.6 MB pdf file.

pete, randy,and others

if i read the GTSS right in that basically scuba isnt allowed, but then the exception basically allows everything. So that it brings up these questions

would the following be allowed under BSA national policy

Discover scuba being taught in the swimmers area of a camp, whose swimming area is in a lake, but no deeper then 12 feet.

is the teaching of basic OW class at summer camp allowed if they are old enough and have the proper paperwork. then additionally is there a complication to this if the person who is teaching the class is employed by the council to teach such activities listed above

finally properly certified divers/scouts particpate in a scuba activity at summer camp (say a underwater nav course or simulations of S&R under the supervision of a DM or higher).

tooth

My brief in a nutshell answers:

Discover Scuba in lake: Yes, for Scuba BSA. The requirement is "clear, confined water" - a swimming pool is recommended but not required.

Teaching OW: Allowed for Varsity/Venture units, but highly restrictive trying to do it at camp. National does not recommend the instructor be employed by the council. Also, the local council cannot sell, rent, or loan scuba equipment, so all the gear has to be from an LDS or brought by the unit.

Diving At Camp: Yes, for a Venture/Varsity crew, led by DM or higher, some buddy restrictions (14 year olds must have 18 year old buddy). Same gear restrictions (LDS or bring their own).

That's the interpretation of an ex-Camp Director (me) and the Program Executive at our Council.

I teach at Camp La-No-Che every year now for the last 6 years.I provide all equipment and training materials. The Camp collects the fees and I invoice them. I am not hired by the council but I am contracted with the camp. National is very supportive of this. The scuba program is considered a High Adventure program age 14 and above open to scouts and scout masters. I have trained scouts that are younger but they must come directly through me so as not to impact the camp. My Liability covers the Camp as a insured. I have conducted scuba experiences and completed full OW certification. I have worked with the Venturing Programs to help them meet some of their requirements mostly througha scuba experience program conducted in the pool.

Back
Top Bottom