Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that some more information about the actual problem that led to the DCS has come out, this thread has reached a turning point of sorts. It is a very unusual thread. Normally, as a Mod suggested earlier, a thread like this is discussed in the Accidents and Incidents forum. This one is different because of the close-knit Cozumel community and the fact that the victims are so well known and beloved. In a normal A & I discussion, friends and relations of the victims are warned to avoid participation because the discussion can become unpleasant as the actions people took are analyzed.

I have some knowledge about the downcurrents (etc.). I have a story of a friend who went to the chamber after just such an event, and the information she received subsequent to it. If this were in the A & I forum, I would not hesitate to post it. I am hesitant to post it here, though, because it is such a different atmosphere.

IMO, we need a different thread in the A & I forum to discuss this accident as is normally done in that forum. I think that people in this thread will not be happy if it turns in that direction.

John, there are 2 new Down Current threads in Advanced, but then you could start a new one in this Coz forum as the channel is known for them.

I like this thread here with all the warm wishes that do not fit in A&I.

Another vote for the informational thread to discuss this, and similar incidents, so we can all learn, while keeping this one for those concerned about these three divers

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Ladies and Gentlemen...

This thread has been afforded a modicum of leeway because it is not located in the A&I Forum where we have special rules for posting. However, the normal rules of the board that ask that people interact with a degree of mutual respect still apply. This thread is starting to generate numerous reported posts due to the perceived tone of the posters. Having a dissenting opinion is fine. Just be aware of the manner in which you present it and how it may be perceived by others.

We are going to allow you the opportunity to self-moderate this trend. If it becomes necessary for staff to intervene, then those involved in the bickering are likely to find themselves kicked out of not only this thread, but the entire Cozumel subforum as well.

Carry on...

I haven't logged on for a few days, we just got back on 8/28 from Cozumel and spent 3 days diving with Gabi. I haven't the words to express my sorrow for my friends. Attached are a couple of pictures I took after our last dive. My thoughts and prayers go out to Opal, Gabi, Heath and the entire Scuba Mau family.

Attachments

• IMG_3337.jpg
    IMG_3337.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 523
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Gabi, Opal, and Heath. We just came from a wonderful time with them, and was shocked to hear what had happened. Gabi, Opal and the entire Scubamau gang will be in our thoughts and prayers.

I would like to donate $20 to help with the medical expenses. Can someone there who knows what is set up, please advise me how to proceed. I URGE all of the rest of you who have posted here to do the same, this could be most important as these procedures are not cheap. If this group has touched you as much as you all have stated, prayers and thoughts can supplement good medicine but good medicine is not cheap. Please help!

Hi to all my fellow divers. I joined this board after learning today of the unfortunate accident involving the team of divers from scubamau. My wife, daughter and myself have been diving Coz for the past 13 years. When there, we use Papa Hogs (which we divers who frequent Coz know is upstairs form scubamau). We know Opal and we had Gabi as our divemaster when he was with Papa Hogs. We regard this as a sad day in diving but hope Opal, Gabi and Heath make a complete recovery. Our prayers are with them along with their families.

Money sent, prayers continue.
Thanks, Jen for handling the donations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom