Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very sad and tragic thing. Godspeed on the revovery.

It means that this dive would not have been planned for a vacationing diver and you would not be in a position to have the issues that led to this incident.

I am a diver... NOT a vacationing diver...!!! Just what do you mean by this statement??? I donated money... I think its a fair question!!! At least I think its a fair question...

lee

I know that eventually we will need to discuss the actual dive, and the resulting accident. There is always a back story, and information that helps put everything in balance, as well as a lesson for others. We are not there yet in this thread, with lives hanging by a thread.

Even my gf, Colleen is following all this with intense interest she usually does not display for anything I am involved in on SB, because she has dived with these folks, and because the accident has her very nervous. The discussion, when it is time will hopefully help all of us divers who are not there better understand what happened, and why. Do a lot to calm the jitters of those now feeling nervous about Cozumel diving.

I think that, like me, he has observed a carefully nuanced and edited thread and is commenting at the fact that the silence is deafening. I did not take his post to mean you any offence.
Oh, I took no offense - I just edited my post to clarify :) I meant that it was unnecessary to cancel a trip over this!

I'm sure the details of this dive will filter out sooner than later to those beyond the dive op community in Cozumel. This definitely deserves a spot in the Accidents and Incidents forum.. (Mod's, feel free to split this off if you so chose) Suffice it to say, the dive they embarked on is one that no recreational diver would do (nor a tech diver without the right equipment, gases & planning), nor were the circumstances such as mother nature precipitated or caused the incident to happen.

Divers coming to Cozumel have absolutely nothing new to worry about.. Follow the dive plan and the dive masters, monitor your depth and gas, and the dive will be just like any other beautiful Cozumel drift dive. Lots of pretty fish, coral, turtles and other sea life..

Cave Diver:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The bulk of this post and the follow up responses have been moved to the accident thread in the A&I forum: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/395698-cozumel-incident-9-4-11-a.html

I've already stated my feelings about Opal and that she and the others are in my prayers.. My heart aches for her and what they all are up against, but I think Opal of all people wouldn't want people to be afraid of diving in Cozumel... Nor would she want the myth of rogue down currents perpetuated on her back..

David

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so heartbroken and sad to hear of this unexpected accident, and that it happened to such a sweet person. I am praying everyday that Opal makes a full recovery. I know it does not look good, but miracles happen every day......you never know. I am believing that she can get back to the states and get the care that she needs.

I met Opal when I came to Cozumel and she was one of the most laid back and real people I met there. She cracked me up when she helped me with my tanks to the boat dock.....walking across the street barefooted :cool2: ......although I only met Opal the week I was in Cozumel, it really was a pleasure, she was always a ray of sunshine when we came to check in, and I hope to see her again when David and I come back down. Stay strong Opal and God be with you, your family, and with Gabi and Heath!

And for other divers who are questioning Scuba Mau......let me just say, I really had a awesome time diving with them and never felt like anyone put me in harm’s way or would every put me in harm’s way. They did such a great job of making the whole experience memorable. I have nothing but great feelings toward them.

Warmly,
Monica

Last edited:
OK, I have started a new thread in the Accidents and Incidents forum. The purpose of that thread will be to have the kind of frank discussion that normally occurs in that forum. I started it there so that it does not have to happen here. As I said earlier, I don't think this thread is the place for it.

Those who wish to talk about the nature of the incident, lessons learned, etc. should probably go there for that discussion. Those who are more interested in the health issues for the victims and who are only concerned with their well-being are advised not to visit that thread. Friends and relatives of accident victims are usually advised to stay away from those threads.

Just had 2 friends cancel on our trip to Coz. They feel if this tragedy could have happened to seasoned pros, it's too dangerous for them. Didn't know what to tell them other than this isn't a normal occurrence :/

You need to tell your friends that the "dangers" of diving Coz are HIGHLY exagerated. I've been Diving Coz at least one or twice (often 3 times) a year for the last 20+ years, and there are numerous dive sites that are completely safe. Indeed, I can only think of three, maybe 4, sites at Cozumel - Punta Sur, Devil's Throat, Santa Rosa Wall, and Barracuda (there may be others, but that's off the top of my head), and most dive operators won't even take visiting divers to those sites unless: (a) the Divers are Advanced Divers, in good physical shape, with at least 100+ logged dives; and (b) the Dive Master has personally observed their abilities & skill level over a couple of days to make sure. There are dozens of great dive sites in Cozumel where it isn't even possible to go below 85-100 feet, unless you bring a shovel with you & are prepared to dig a hole in the sea floor, and you'll still have a great dive. DO NOT use this incident as an excuse to avoid Cozumel - you'll miss one of the top 2 or 3 dive sites in the Western Hemisphere, in my opinion.

Good news! I just got word that Opal is being transferred to a Florida hospital today!!! The flight is on it's way! This is very good news! We will see you back here soon Opal! Hang in there and fight hard girl!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom