Scrotum Injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theunis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was diving 10 days ago on the Protea Banks, Kwazulu Natal, South Africa when our Dive Master had a very nasty mishap.

Launching to dive the Protea Banks is rather an effort. Launching takes place from a small harbour at Shelley Beach. Protea Banks are 8 kilometers offshore and launching forms part of the pre-dive excitement where all participating divers assist with pushing the boat into the waves whilst the skipper starts up the motors as boats are launched from the beach. It is, however, a harbour with a cement strip sloping to the shore and a radio tower controls the launching and beaching of fishing and diving boats.

In the process of unhooking the boat from the trailer, the Dive Master was standing on the front of the trailer when the vertical strut hook securing the front of the boat to the trailer came loose (as it is supose to do). The movable part of the trailer, to unload the boat, shot upwards, and our Dive Master let out a horrific scream. The divers thought that he has received a blow to the family jewels and would be up and running shortly!!

However, it was far more serious than that. When the vertical hook shot upwards, it literally hooked his scrotum through his wetsuite and lifted him a foot in the air. On investigation it turned out that his scrotum has teared, to such an extent that his one testical was protruding through his scrotum. Needless to say, this was a serious injury. Our Dive Master was rushed to hospital, but fortunately he did not suffer any serious internal injuries. His scrotum was stitched up and by now he should be medical fit to dive again.

The lesson I have learned was that accidents do happen. Not only in the water, but prior to launching as well!! Divers should be cautious at all times.

Ouch!!!!

Is it ok to laugh about this???

I mean now that he is ok...:D

Situational awareness is that ability to see problems and hopefully BEFORE they arise. Don't swim in FRONT of spearfisherman, look for entanglements on EVERY wreck and never, ever stand over a trailer as it is being unhooked and unloaded.

I should have known just from the title of this thread that reading it would be painful.

Talk a bout a groin pull...right off his feet...ouch, I will probably still be cringing a week from now when I think about it...

Remindes me of the song on Bob&Tom.
Trama to the groin!

After reading the story I'm still having trouble breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom