Scratched painted tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snepdiver:
Not trying to hijack here but it just seemed senseless to start a new thread when my question could fit in this thread. Hopefully Lynne will not be angry at me.

I bought some old rental AL80's and I am not fond of the lime green paint. My question is, Is it considered acceptable to paint them white? I know that O2 tanks have to be white, but is it OK to have a white tank that does not contain O2? LP and ST sell white tanks. Thanks in advance for your input.

In the industrial world it is a "No No" to paint pressurized cylinders your self. I caution anyone from doing a complete paint job to change color because a good Visual Inspector that knows the rule will possably refuse to inspect a tank that has been painted by anyone but the manufacturer of the tank.

Just my .02

lynne, you need to touch them up with orange to match your wing & gloves.

duh. why didn't you realize that? everything must match!

ooh, or blue, the complementary color...sure to garner you complements! that would be best...

muddiver:
In the industrial world it is a "No No" to paint pressurized cylinders your self. I caution anyone from doing a complete paint job to change color because a good Visual Inspector that knows the rule will possably refuse to inspect a tank that has been painted by anyone but the manufacturer of the tank.

Just my .02

Seems like good advice. Although I've seen plenty of repainted tanks, the Luxfer instructions for visual inspection say to question recently painted tanks. The paint may be there to hide damage. Maybe the next inspector will take this instruction real serious.

If you can't stand lime green, and live in Florida, I might want to buy one off you. Lime was a favorite muscle car color, and some of us old guys still consider it cool.

muddiver:

Just my .02
Thanks Muddiver. I learned this Sunday. The LDS I bought the tanks from told me exactly that. I guess I should have called them first. Oh well. I can remove the paint with just a little effort. No biggie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom