Scout - LED upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everybody for the input. It seems I'd rather save the money for that LED upgrade for something else - at least until I get the chance to look at it in RL.

Detroit Diver:
I was thinking way beyond the backup light, and onto a primary unit. If these LED's are as bright as you guys make them out to be, and also as power frugal, what's keeping them from primary lights?

In my opinion they still need to tighten the beam a little bit, but otherwise they seem to be strong enough for primary usage compared to 3cell halogen lamps (though not near what an HID puts out)

I initially got mine as a primary, with the intention of it becoming my backup when I got a can light. I've used it on several night dives and been quite pleased with it, though the vis here is pretty good, in low vis I just go home and wait 24 hours for the water to clear up - but then again we're pretty fortunate over here.

Next time your on Maui let me know and you're welcome to try it out :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Scubaroo:
There's two versions I'm aware of - 3 x 1W and 3 x 5W (so max of 15W).

http://www.green-force.com/lighthead/Tristar15.php?lang=en

Wow, I love the idea of a canister LED. I believe it to be a cheaper alternative to the extremely expensive HID lights that they currently sell over here. How much do they cost and how can I get my hands on one? Don't know if you can help me out with that or not. Take it easy Roo.

Dive4Life:
Wow, I love the idea of a canister LED. I believe it to be a cheaper alternative to the extremely expensive HID lights that they currently sell over here. How much do they cost and how can I get my hands on one? Don't know if you can help me out with that or not. Take it easy Roo.
Cheaper alternative?

Green Force's Tristar 15 non-focusable head, with 3 5 watt LED's, is $381.

Their *focusable* 10 watt HID, which according to Green Force, has equivalent light output, is $330.

Don't expect high power LED's to be cheaper.

Check out www.salvodiving.com for good, affordable canister lights.

crestgel:
Just ready this about salvo lights, it does not look good for them.

http://www.thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11999

I don't know what the law will do, but I've had nothing but good service and support from Barry. He makes quality equipment, ships on time, prices competetively, and gives excellent customer service. I wish him well.

Barry also has apparently opened a storefront just around the corner from Extreme Exposure in High Springs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom