Scorpions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoooter961

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Headed there next week and the girls want to know if scorpions are a problem especially in dive gear? Staying at Buddy Dive.

I've never had a scorpion in my dive gear while on Bonaire. I suppose one could get into a boot if you left it on the ground. I just hang my stuff up between dives. So unless there are some scorpion species who have developed wings, you'll be fine so long as you don't leave your gear draped across the ground. If worried, just give everything a good shake before donning.

I can only imagine the nightmare stories people have of scorpions in wetsuits.
landscape-1462304767-bridesmaids-12.jpg

Asking the internet, instead of proactively checking gear if this is a real concern. Scorpion activity is at its peak the time you’re visiting.

Attachments

• 41B6FE47-433E-4266-810F-FBA53A408781.gif
    41B6FE47-433E-4266-810F-FBA53A408781.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
Asking the internet, instead of proactively checking gear if this is a real concern. Scorpion activity is at its peak the time you’re visiting.
I’m sure they will check, I was just wondering if it was a valid concern or not…

Not something I hear people concerned about usually, but with a little Googling, turns out it can happen.

BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Bonaire Nature & Nature Organizations:
Scorpions on Bonaire

Had one in my shorts couple years ago. No problem except for quite painfull :) It's such a rare thing, after a week I never checked again.

Even if scorpions weren't an issue, when traveling it's good to be mindful of other things that get where they don't belong; spiders and centipedes come to mind. I don't know about Bonaire, but I found an online mention of a centipede on Aruba, so I'd guess Bonaire likely has them, too.

The main topside invertebrate hazard on Bonaire is the mosquito, in my opinion (though at the southern tip I once ran into tiny biting gnats). Read up on Dengue Fever and Chikungunya. Not something I worry about (much), but worth being aware of.

28 trips to Bonaire, all months, spread over 23 years.
Never even heard of scorpions until the SB postings this year.
Wife is from Arizona; she is used to looking in her shoes before she puts them on.
They fluoresce under a blue/UV light at night; easy to find if you are looking.

I have always had a phobia for rats and snakes peeping out of the toilet seat now I have to worry about scorpions in my dive shorts and wetsuit in Bonaire!!

Back
Top Bottom