Scorpion Bay is OPEN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AzAtty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
At least it was open at 1:30 when I left. Granny and I got in two dives. Good visibility (25 feet). I'm guessing that the status of the Bay may vary, since Granny said that yesterday the side road to Scorpion Bay was blocked with a truck and construction barricades. Several people were over at Dirty Shirt with jetskis and camping stuff, too. Today there were no signs, barricades, or anything suggesting the area might be closing. Nothing at the toll booth, either.

Very cool! I guess we'll be at the Bay this weekend! Thanks for the update, Blake.

Just wondering where this is? We spend a lot of time in Phoenix- after we've had our Cummins engine and Onan generator torn into by monkeys at other shops, we've decided pretty much to only go to Cummins/Onan in Avondale. So- I get a day or two down there from time to time. I wouldn't have thought of diving in the area- it any good? Keep in mind, my main dive site is a cold, silty quarry in Ohio. :)

Scorpion Bay and Dirty Shirt are at Lake Pleasant - a few miles NW of Phoenix (more north than west). It's almost due north from Avondale. From there take I-10 east to I-17 north and it will be on your left less than 10mi. north of town. Just before you get to Anthem if you know where that is.

You can get air fills at Sport Chalet on I-17 and Happy Valley rd. - it's off to the right a mile or two north of the SR 101/I-17 interchange on the north end of town. You'll see it from I-17.

An messier but slightly shorter route from Avondale would be SR 101 North - off on Union Hills - west to 99th Ave. and then north. Once you're out of Sun City it becomes Lake Pleasant Rd. and goes right to the lake. Or to avoid Sun City get off on 83rd Ave. and go north 2mi. to Pinnacle Peak Road and then left (road turns left) over to Lake Pleasant Rd.

When Garrett (shark.byte.usa) sees this he'll hopefully add his link to a map of the Scorpion Bay area.

Here it is on Google Earth:

Attachments

• Lake Pleasant.jpg
    Lake Pleasant.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 94
Great. Nothing we like better than off-roading in a prius to off-the-beaten path dive sites in the lake....we'll see you & Jen there Sunday Rob. A prius, however, you can drive in a HOV lane all by yourself and not get a ticket since it's a hybrid. Not so much for hauling dive gear but much kinder to keeping silly things like the environment clean and getting across the valley quick. Not to mention getting gas 1X a month and getting 65 MPG.

yoginidiver:
Great. Nothing we like better than off-roading in a prius to dive sites in the lake....we'll see you & Jen there Sunday. Which btw you can drive in a HOV lane all by yourself and not get a ticket since it's a hybrid. Not so much for hauling dive gear but much kinder to keeping silly things like the environment clean.

Read this article. Trade in that Prius for a Hummer.

The Bay is still open. However it is now swamped with campers and viz changed from 25 feet to 8 feet. Friday the dive was over ran with boats. Seemed every camper had a boat and boat trailer to pull into the Bay. Not a safe dive this weekend. Good luck....Mike

Back
Top Bottom