scored used aqualung regs+octo...good score or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you say, he may be able to get as much as $75. But IMHO, if he really wants to learn about diving, learning how to service his own regulators is not a bad thing. That would save the service cost even if he has a to buy a few tools.

In his present budget, used gear and learning how to do his own service is not a bad way to go (again, just my opinion).

I agree that learning regulator service would be a useful skill for a scientific diver to know because they may be away from locations with dive shops. However, the parts kits for this regulator is probably $100 alone plus the cost of the specific tools for the Micra. I don't have Harlow's book with me but I think I remember him warning that the Micra is not the easiest second stage to service.

I think that I have heard that about the Micra, but he can get a couple of simple second stages for very little money and end up with a good reliable easy to service regulator.

I would add a Scubapro 109 or an old Conshelf second stage. The 109 have become popular and prices reflect that, but Conshelf second stages (either metal or plastic) are available for very little money and they are very good performers and very reliable.

Again, I am biased towards being self sufficient and staying in a budget.

For that first stage and the second stages that I am suggesting, the cost of parts is very reasonable and there is no real need for any special tools. That first stage doesn't even need the Conshelf assembly tool.

Again, I am biased towards being self sufficient and staying in a budget.

I think you are biased because this is an Aqua-Lung. I doubt if you and others would say keep it if it was a set of Sherwoods or Oceanics. Yes, he can sell the balanced Micra second stages and purchase simpler unbalanced lower-performing seconds. But if he is doing that then why not sell the whole set and buy a Sea 3 or 4?

Again the OP wants to eventually be a cave diver, so new proper length hoses are $75 (assuming the ports are standard), a Din conversion is $75 or so. So now we are at $150 assuming he can swap out the seconds on a even trade. The cost of the service is going to be $100, so we are at roughly the same price as the Divers Supply Hog deal. Again there is no advantage to keeping these.

If he buys new he has a warranty and does not need to screw with self-service for another couple of years. He can also practice using a long-hose configuration.

I think you are biased because this is an Aqua-Lung. I doubt if you and others would say keep it if it was a set of Sherwoods or Oceanics.

Absolutely, but not because it is Aqua Lung, but because it is a Conshelf derivative. That first stage probably works fine without service< but I am not suggesting that he uses it without servicing it.

Properly adjusted, the second stages I suggested are not going to be really lower performers.

When a new diver asks for advice we should be objective and not let our recommendations be clouded by our personal biases.

A bit late to the thread (enjoying a rainy day break from sailing in the Harbor Bar in Petersburg AK) but there was one other USD piston 1st stage, the Pioneer / Nordic from the late 80's through the 90's.....also sold through SeaQuest as.....the name escapes me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom