Scopalomine patches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
My dive shop owner/instructor recommended that I might use the scopalomine patches on my liveaboard trip this coming weekend. When we went to West Palm Beach I was slightly seasick after our first tank dive. I got over it and the rest of the weekend I did not experience any further problems. But he is concerned that I will have a worse time on the liveaboard. I am a bit concerned as I have never been on a smaller boat 110 ft. I have only experienced large cruise ships and I have never been seasick on them even in very rough seas. I have the patches, but I am very hesitant to use them. I am wary of the possible side effects, on the package it says that persons wearing them in underwater activities might experience disorientation. That does not sound like something I want to experience. I have Bonine available and the seabands. Any suggestions? We will be crossing the Gulf Stream going to the Bahamas and weather predications look like windy with some rain in the forecast. I hope it will be better than they are forecasting. I know it is rough crossing the gulfstream under calm seas at times. Any thoughts?

seaangel,

Just a suggestion. My wife used 1/2 patch on a cruise and did not feel any of the usual effects-drowsy, etc.

As they say, YMMV, but it's worth a try.

By the way, if you ask the pharmicist real nice, you can get Meclazine HCL (the generic version of the active ingredient in Bonine) for about $10.00 per 100 count bottle. This is much more economical than the $5 or $6 you pay for the small amount of "brand name" Bonine.

I swear by it! We (Sea Squirt & I) had a bad experience with dimenhydrenate (Dramamine) and after reading DocV's reports decided to go au naturel. Every time we go on a boat dive we make strong ginger tea beforehand - we've never had problems since, and in fact if we forget to drink the tea now it seems the ginger has "cured" us of our motion sickness! Best thing about it is it tastes great :p

DocV's had a profound impact on you if he can get you to dive "au natural". And drink tea, too!

Maybe this warm water diving isn't so bad after all....

Hi detroit diver,

LOL. Maybe all those years of endless study & clinical grind are starting pay off.

Your wife should be aware that cutting her patches in an attempt to reduce the dose could have several unwanted effects. It can both interfere with the proper absorption of the drug through the patch membrane, and impede adhesion. This might especially be the case if she was diving.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such. She should discuss any contemplated alterations in her medications with the prescribing physician.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

that was a bit of a faux pas! Trust you to spot it, DD... :p

DocV - are you still planning on a trip to Thailand next year?

Hi Alison,

Yes, I have chartered & filled a live-aboard as I like the control over itinerary & diver experience this affords, not to mention getting a free slot on the boat.

Ten of us will be diving the Burma Banks & Mergui Archipelago in late April '02. I'm then staying on for 3 weeks of touring Thailand, Cambodia & Myanmar.

I'm greatly looking forward to it & thank you for asking.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom