Scooter insurance in Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I lost the argument with my wife about whether hiring a scooter or taxis in Koh Tao. We will have to go for the former. However, I visited some shops this afternoon after diving with Simple Life and nobody offers liability insurance. They talk about scratches, even theft and damages to the scooter but nothing about what happens if you have an accident. Is it the way it is? Can someone recommend a scooter shop that offers liability insurance at least?

Do you have the licence to drive a scooter in Thailand?
Is your wife insured if she is riding with an un-licenced driver?

You really have to think hard on the matter.

Hello. The regular european driving license includes motorbike up to 125cc. And I have an international one. So does my wife. We are covered there. But as all the people we met here have rented scooter, I can’t fight my wife. I know, it’s sheepish but…

If you are licenced then your life/travel insurance should cover any injury etc etc.
Licence is very important if legal matter is involved especially overseas.

Hello. The regular european driving license includes motorbike up to 125cc. And I have an international one. So does my wife. We are covered there. But as all the people we met here have rented scooter, I can’t fight my wife. I know, it’s sheepish but…
I would be cautious about that, German B class regular driver license is valid for 49cc maximum. What counts is what you have in your international driver license. That needs to be A1 or >. Thailand is not EU, they do not have to acknowledge special rules within EU, so, you need to check with the Thai authorities. In my view, you need to have A1 to ride a scooter that is above 49cc, does your int. driver license include A1?

I would be cautious about that, German B class regular driver license is valid for 49cc maximum. What counts is what you have in your international driver license. That needs to be A1 or >. Thailand is not EU, they do not have to acknowledge special rules within EU, so, you need to check with the Thai authorities. In my view, you need to have A1 to ride a scooter that is above 49cc, does your int. driver license include A1?
My license is valid for A1 too.

Attachments

• 3ED46611-EC2E-4133-8226-0AD11F065AA8.jpeg
    3ED46611-EC2E-4133-8226-0AD11F065AA8.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 70
A lot of tourists in SE Asia do not care about licence and driving insurance because all of them believing they are bullet proof! But when accident happened and especially involved with local........

Many divers still do not have any signal device because they believe lost at sea only happened in film.

Anyway, I liked Koh Tao so much that I am thinking of spending 2/3 months there during wintertime in Europe. I will get an international driving license and make sure that I have full coverage with my insurance.

Driving w/o insurance poses huge problems and anyone ignoring this does so at their own risk. I would not rely on social media for legal matters....

Back
Top Bottom