Scooter insurance in Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, I liked Koh Tao so much that I am thinking of spending 2/3 months there during wintertime in Europe. I will get an international driving license and make sure that I have full coverage with my insurance.
You have mentioned on #3 that both of you have International driving licence! You have been driving without licence and I am pretty sure no insurance will cover that.
Never mind because both of you won't the only people to make such a naive decision.

If you like diving then the wintertime in Europe should spend on the West coast of the Kingdom eg. Koh Lanta, Koh Lipe etc.

You have mentioned on #3 that both of you have International driving licence! You have been driving without licence and I am pretty sure no insurance will cover that.
Never mind because both of you won't the only people to make such a naive decision.

If you like diving then the wintertime in Europe should spend on the West coast of the Kingdom eg. Koh Lanta, Koh Lipe etc.

All EU driving licenses are international by design. For my insurance, it is fine. Some countries out of EU accept that. For the Thai authorities, it seems that it is not enough. I need a special format that is given almost instantly by the city hall so no worries.
In what is the west coast better?

All EU driving licenses are international by design. For my insurance, it is fine. Some countries out of EU accept that. For the Thai authorities, it seems that it is not enough. I need a special format that is given almost instantly by the city hall so no worries.
In what is the west coast better?
You did not bother to check if your driving licence is acceptable in Thailand before your arrival!
Diving in the West coast is head and shoulder above the East coast.
Koh Phi Phi, Lanta, Lipe + Langkawi in Malaysia(direct ferry from Lipe) is far more interesting and diverse than those three in Gulf of Thailand(Siam).
Cost of living in Koh Tao in winter is a lot cheaper than summer because most tourists would have gone to the West coast or Northern Provinces. Check the weather pattern.

@Buadhai rates Losin highly.

You did not bother to check if your driving licence is acceptable in Thailand before your arrival!
I did. The official website states: "To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai".

I did. The official website states: "To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai".
Which one is accurate?

Which one is accurate?
Both could be. When you look at an european driving license, you realize that the categories are specified with codes only. 1 is first name, 2 last name, 4b license expiry date, 4c city of residence,… but there is no explanation. So can you say that it is written in English?

Both could be. When you look at an european driving license, you realize that the categories are specified with codes only. 1 is first name, 2 last name, 4b license expiry date, 4c city of residence,… but there is no explanation. So can you say that it is written in English?
Incredible!!

There is NO "could be" in this case.
You were going to drive in Thailand so it is your obligation to find out if your licence is acceptable or not.
No explanation in the licence is your problem. You should had found the explanation written in English and brought it along to explain to the authority.
BTW, EC driving licence is different from International!

Incredible!!

There is NO "could be" in this case.
You were going to drive in Thailand so it is your obligation to find out if your licence is acceptable or not.
No explanation in the licence is your problem. You should had found the explanation written in English and brought it along to explain to the authority.
BTW, EC driving licence is different from International!
You are right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom