Scooping the crotch strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pug! that looks very painful if you miss! i'd go straight to option #3!

Uncle Pug:
It should not be pulling down the waist strap when tightened... and it should not be pulling up on your crotch either... unless you are scootering at high pitch. :D

note: I modified my post so as not to insult those with bad backs, short arms, big bellies and big butts... but unfortunately you quoted the original. ~ Yes, with my super powers I could edit your post too... but... :D

I was wondering what the heck happened. You must be one of'em since the post didn't even have 'edited' on it! Then I figured you reread and reflected which is good. I was not offended it was in a humourous tone but I know for some people these things are way more aw, so it's good to leave the exchange.. I am annoyed at my own limitations, so I hadn't bring it up off the bat yet in another thread, and was well prepared for a 'for crying out loud just grab it with limbs God gave you' -comment.

We all need to work within our limitations. Sometimes what seems to be obvious isn't obvious at all. *Reach over and grab it* works well for the limber with a correctly adjusted strap... but not so well for those with physical limitations. Since you were having a problem getting a hold of the strap it was evident that either the strap is too short or you have limitations or both.

As AWAP hinted you could just omit the crotch strap... though I would suggest lengthening it a bit and giving it another go.

As for the swinging manuever... it works and I do that sometimes even though I'm limber enough to reach the strap without... but if you have bad disks I would suggest that it might not be the best for you.

While the hay hook was tongue in cheek the idea of using an adjunct isn't. Make yourself an appliance of some sort... without the sharp pointy end.

Take a long piece of rope (8 feet) and tie a big loop in each end.

Thread it through the crotch strap, and put both loops around your neck. Arrage yourself so that when you're getting into the harness, the rope goes down between your legs. Once you get your arms in the straps, just pull the crotch strap up and remove the piece of rope!

Or just clip your primary second stage (on the 7' hose) to the scooter D-ring. After getting into your harness just pull the crotch strap up with the long hose and your in business. :wink:

(It should be obvious... but... if you do this you need to step between long hose and crotch strap with your right leg before donning your rig.)

Uncle Pug:
As AWAP hinted you could just omit the crotch strap... though I would suggest lengthening it a bit and give it another go.

As for the swinging manuever... it works and I do that sometimes even though I'm limber enough to get it without... but if you have bad disks I would suggest that it might not be the best for you.

While the hay hook was tongue in cheek the idea of using an adjunct isn't. Make yourself an appliance of some sort... without the sharp pointy end.

But I kinda like it... Makes me feel secure and packaged up... At the moment I use TransPac and just like Babyduck I do have some hips and considerably narrower waist above them. It works like suction cup occasionally, the belt finds a path to narrow and narrower and up. I probably have the strap a bit shorter than optimal but I like it pulling the harness down a bit. Maybe I need to experiemnt still.

I thought of the same thing about the hookie. I anyway carry an extra little box to dump my spectacles the last moment possible. Maybe I could have a strap hook in there too. Slightly less aggressive by nature so co-existence with glasses, neoprene and bladder would get to a good start perhaps.

Very true about the swing - I would not consider too robust movements with the bottle already on. Little start up sway might come into question though.

Uncle Pug:
Or just clip your primary second stage (on the 7' hose) to the scooter D-ring. After getting into your harness just pull the crotch strap up with the long hose and your in business. :wink:

(It should be obvious... but... if you do this you need to step between long hose and crotch strap with your right leg before donning your rig.)

Yeah right - I have just started reading about about 7' hoses, come on! (Did that permanent card arrive yet?) I have yet to meet a DIR person in real life! Well, except I think I might have seen one in plain clothes but he fled after uttering scubatoys.

A bolt snap on a short piece of line would work just as well. For those already using the 7' hose, nothing could be simpler than what I describe above... other than just reaching between your legs and grabbing the crotch strap. :D

pants!:
Take a long piece of rope (8 feet) and tie a big loop in each end.

Thread it through the crotch strap, and put both loops around your neck. Arrage yourself so that when you're getting into the harness, the rope goes down between your legs. Once you get your arms in the straps, just pull the crotch strap up and remove the piece of rope!

Ok, it took me awhile to figure this one out... especially because I got stuck with having not only one rope around my neck but two (you know what the suicide statistics are from where I am from man!!!)

But what if I did this and instead clipped the 8 feetish string to my shoulder D-ring (prolly smart to fold it in two too), and slung it over the shoulder. If only I now have it clipped so that it does not appear on my arm when I stick it into the harness but stays next to tank on the back I should be easily able to untie, flop the thing on the ground, whip the strap up, unleash the string and stuff into my eyeglass box. Since this problem is definately worse on shore entries, I might not attemp this on charters... but it might work. Securing the back part in place - but not so that I then have to strech to get to it - is the hardest piece.

After reading this post my head is spinning from all the swaying,head between legs, the string/hose thingie and the hay bailer.
Just ask your dive buddy to pass the crotch strap between your legs.
I'm sure he/she would not mind. After all we are adults. aren't we???

Also, I'm going to drop my dive buddy application off to Babyduck the next time I'm in Durham. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom