Scooping the crotch strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How do you guys get your crotch strap on without twisting either your back, sides or both? I struggle whether I gear up standing or sitting - especially of course standing which is common with a lot of shore entries - and would probably hurt myself if not for buddy. Any well-established ideas where to hook the strap while it’s waiting for it’s turn and how? Preferably so that it does not create a new problem with trip/tangle hazard?

My strap is, I guess you call it ‘sewn loop’ ie I need to get the kit on my back, grasp for the strap (between my legs usually), and slide the loop onto the belt before buckling up. No buckles on the strap itself, so I have adjusted it to be just right length (so I think), which means not much slack, and no chance of leaving it longer and tightening as it is on. There could be a better way of doing this, no?

I just gear up, lean forward, reach between my legs and grab the crotch strap. The trick I've found is to make sure the the strap is not tangled adn is clear before putting on the gear. Other than that, I've had no problems grabbing the strap that way.

i grab it in back, flick it to the front, and try to clench it with my legs. option #2 is to sit on it in position & just attach it. option #3 is the buddy whine - 'would you get my crotch strap? please? pretty please?'

I lean forward to do it. Haven't had any issues, even with big doubles.

Pretty much the same way wingnut does it, with the addition of a little "swing". I move around a little to get the strap swinging. I can grab it without the swing, but with a little movement on my part the strap is lots easier to reach.

Mark Vlahos

I leave mine in the closet with the rest of my exta gear. I don't miss it at all.

Maybe you crotch strap is a bit short. It doesn't need to be tight in use. You should be able to just bend forward, reach between your legs and grab it... baring physical limitation that would prevent you from doing so.

A few weeks ago we were doing a dive in our local mudhole when it was about a million degrees outside.Threw the gear on and got in the water ASAP. Realised I had forgotten to thread my crotchstrap and could not reach it as it was tangled up somewhere. Easy solution,ask buddy to feel around between my legs and find it for me. He was not impressed !!

funny, nobody i've asked has minded.

Back
Top Bottom