Scientific Diver Course - Aquarena Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan:
The skills test is necessary (the hardest part is moving the weight across the grid without dropping it), but after that, the diving is really fun, especially seeing all the underwater life that Spring Lake has to offer. If you go into the Photo Gallery, check out my picture of the Cream of Wheat -- it's the way the lake bottom "boils" as the spring water comes to the surface. I also have a picture of a gar from Spring Lake in my album.

Can you use a lift bag on the weight? My wing, at 30 pounds, is a bit borderline for a 25 pound weight.

awap:
Can you use a lift bag on the weight? My wing, at 30 pounds, is a bit borderline for a 25 pound weight.

It's way to big to get into a lift bag. You have to pick it up and take it yourself across the grid.

Bridget doesn't use the big weight anymore. Now it's some metal bar thing that weighs a lot less. The big round weight (some part of a car) is still down there, however.

the larger object is described somewhere as being a brake drum.

cyklon_300:
the larger object is described somewhere as being a brake drum.

That's exactly what it was. It was very awkward to swim with while carrying it over the grid. I'm glad she's got something lighter to carry now.

......the heavy object in question is/was a brake rotor....not a brake drum.....and I suspect that Bridget changed to the 'lighter' weight object for safety reasons......... it was pretty scary seeing what happened when some divers in the class really overinflated their BC's to lift the object and then they would either lose a grip on it unexpectedly....or would reach the other side of the grid successfully and put the weight down and forget to vent their BC's....in either case, I've seen divers shoot to the surface...a very scary sight! ......I wondered how long it would take for her to change that part of the course...glad to hear that's finally been done.

Karl

I am signed up for this weekend of 2/28-9 thru Gigglin Marlin in Houston. Anyone else going to be there?

R&D scuba in Houston has a group going the weekend of 2/21-2/22.

Knew about that but weekend didnt work for me

Back
Top Bottom