Science Diving Friday Aquarena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So far we have Tim and Julie, Gary and Scott and myself meeting in San Marcos at 10 AM Friday November 28th (pending approval forms), anyone else want to join us that is Science Diver certified, get your approval form in. All are welcome to come and Science Dive.

It will be a blast to dive Spring Lake without crowds....literally

Best Regards,

Shawn O'Shea

myFOXaustin.com | Underwater Web Cam at Aquarena Center

oh man - so tempting... trying to justify driving down from Dallas though...

oh man - so tempting... trying to justify driving down from Dallas though...

Your always welcome to join us down south.....warm 70 degree water all year round with warm showers and sunshine planned

:D

You have to take the Diving For Science program from the good folks at Aquarena Springs. It is a 1 weekend class that is offered just about every other weekend. The cost of the class is $230.00, but once you complete it, you dive there almost anytime during business hours, free of charge. To sign up, see your local LDS. If they are not part of the program, contact one of the following Austin dive shops:

:DOAK HILL SCUBA :D
Tom's Dive & Swim
Royal Scuba
Scubaland Adventures
Dive World

what is the deal - do you have to take a course? or ? or?

I would make that trip.

As Mack so correctly stated in the previous blog.

Here is the website for TSU:

Dive Authorization course : Aquarena Center : Texas State University

Dive Authorization course
Diving for Science at Aquarena
To register for the Diving for Science authorization course contact Eric Peterson. Once the course is completed individuals have the opportunity to participate in the many educational, research and conservation projects that occur throughout the year. Our Scientific Diving Program helps assure that all diving operations in Spring Lake are procedurally safe as well as environmentally sensitive. Once certified, divers have limitless opportunities to participate in our Volunteer Diving Program.

Scientific Diver Authorization Course
Weekly - Two days: Saturday & Sunday
This two day course focuses on The Edwards Aquifer, the Habitat, Endangered Species, Archaeology, State & Federal Regulations governing Spring Lake and advanced diving techniques to ensure protection of this critical habitat.
Research Dives
Once a diver receives authorization to dive in the lake by completing the authorization class, that diver is eligible to participate in research dives. Aquarena Center will maintain an updated list of research projects and diving requirements. The purpose: to match available divers to the diving needs of an appropriate research project.

Diving For Science Authorization Class|Level One $230

:D

If they are not part of the program, contact one of the following Austin dive shops:

:DOAK HILL SCUBA :D
Tom's Dive & Swim
Royal Scuba
Scubaland Adventures
Dive World

From your post, I can see that Oak Hill Scuba participates in the Sci Diver program and then I can see a few other shops participate as well, although I can't quite make out the small font. :D

Dive West is one Dallas shop that participates. I'm sure there are others as well.

I'm in Fort Worth.
I am Science Diver certified (only a couple of months ago) for Aquarena.
I fancy the trip down for a Friday dive, but 7+ hours driving and a dive is a bit too much for me in 1 day.
I'll go there Thursday evening and drive back Friday evening if anyone would like a lift.
Hope to meet you there if not before.
Cheers,
John.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom