Schedule 40 versus 80 pvc for dive light rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah close, but not exactly. PVC does have a depth rating for structural stability. It is for insertion in the ground on land, not fsw, lol. If it makes your project any easier you can purchase schedule 80 and 120 pvc nipples that are threaded on both ends with NMPT, all diameters and lengths.
Eric

Cool good to know. My floats are 2" schedule 40 ABS then. About 12" long, 2 of them support my GH2, 10-bar housing, 2x12" lightweight aluminum arms, and a pair of sola 2500s. Makes everything just slightly negative.

Black plumbing pipe is ABS, white plumbing pipe is PVC, gray plastic electrical conduit is PVC. Nearly everything you can get at a home improvement store is Schedule 40.

Last edited:
For future reference:
I have in the past used a lot of PVC for pressure housings of different sorts. Harvel makes a lot of PVC pipe products and has published their engineering guide online @:
Engineering & Design Data

Specifically for negative pressure applications using PVC pipe also from Harvel: Negative Pressure Applications
Please note that the depth figure (###) under the PSI number is in INCHES of water....so yeah..divide by 12 and stuff. :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom