Scariest Air Fill of my Life!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey stop being nasty about Dive Shops! Where are you going to get your tanks filled when the Internet puts them out of business !
Classic...:rofl3:

Live and learn. I just took my new to me doubles in. The guy filling them was very experienced and used to dive doubles. He got the joke when I asked for a %21 nitrox fill since I was just going to try them on in the pool. He did use two whips. So the manifold connects the tanks below the valves? I thought that the isolator bar was pressurized when you opened the valve. I Guess an intro to doubles course isn't such a bad idea.

Well I guess not everyone knows everything....

Unlike some people on this fourm.

And yes more training from the shop is in order.
Some shops put the newbie on the fill station, thats how 20 years and 4 shops later I became a Store Manager and Staff Instructor.
Boy I miss being tank boy.

Just don.t see what's scary :shakehead:

Compressors do have some safety features.
one of them being a pressure restrictor,my baur should be able to go al the way to 900bar.It does NOT.Only goes to 350bar direct from the compressor.
From the fill bar it ONLY gives 260bar.
So even if the (new)guy wanted, he could never ever, put 6600 in your tanks.
Putting a yoke over a din,well that only a loud HISSSSS.

Give the guy some slack,he's new and learning,and you helped a bit.:D

Just don.t see what's scary :shakehead:

Compressors do have some safety features.
one of them being a pressure restrictor,my baur should be able to go al the way to 900bar.It does NOT.Only goes to 350bar direct from the compressor.
From the fill bar it ONLY give 260bar.
So even if the (new)guy wanted, he could never ever, put 6600 in your tanks.
Putting a yoke over a din,well that only a loud HISSSSS.

Give the guy some slack,he's new and learning,and you helped a bit.:D

For what it's worth, I am not trying to give the guy too hard of a time. He did a good job at what he knew how to do, tried to figure out how to do things he didn't, and was open and willing to learn how something worked from someone younger than him. Far better than I've seen other places. For instance, I once got a nasty PM over at the Scubatoys forum because I gave advice to someone older than myself.

Yes, he could not have actually blown them up. It was not a dangerous situation. It was more of the humorous variety of scary.

What's funny is that he's only OW certified. And I'm only OW certified. Why is it that I, a diver for a year and a half or two years or something like that, knows more about filling a tank than a dive shop employee?

I did not give the guy a hard time, and I hope to continue to visit that shop for air, since it's close. Infact, I'd like to find out about working there, since I'd like alittle money onthe side and want cheaper air (I'm really spoiled by Cave East in High Springs!!)....

I got my start as tank boy when we came back to the shop after my AOW check out dives, the weekend after my OW check out dives, I didn't have a clue.
The store Inst's were unloading the gear as we students were hanging around and the owner asked "does anyone want to learn to fill tanks" and I was the only one intrested.
He showed me, I filled 30ish tanks and he asked me if I wanted to do it again next week, if I did I could dive in the pool with the class for free with their gear.
As I said that was 20+ years ago and I was 18 broke and had no gear.
Next thing I knew I was working for classes on weekends and for gear.

For what it's worth, I am not trying to give the guy too hard of a time. He did a good job at what he knew how to do, tried to figure out how to do things he didn't, and was open and willing to learn how something worked from someone younger than him. Far better than I've seen other places. For instance, I once got a nasty PM over at the Scubatoys forum because I gave advice to someone older than myself.

Yes, he could not have actually blown them up. It was not a dangerous situation. It was more of the humorous variety of scary.

What's funny is that he's only OW certified. And I'm only OW certified. Why is it that I, a diver for a year and a half or two years or something like that, knows more about filling a tank than a dive shop employee?

I did not give the guy a hard time, and I hope to continue to visit that shop for air, since it's close. Infact, I'd like to find out about working there, since I'd like alittle money onthe side and want cheaper air (I'm really spoiled by Cave East in High Springs!!)....

Hope you didn't took this as a personal atack,it was not.
Maybe I should have used more :D:D:D:D

As for the OW vs OW(the old guy was a OW aswell wasn't he).In this case you are/might be the more (technical) interested diver.
And since you are diving doubles.it would be funny to hear that you didn't know how to fill them:D

:cheers:

I got a nice fill once. Won't name the shop, I like them, but it did freak me out a bit.

I took my AL100 in for a fill. 3300 rated, 3500 for a hot fill is OK by me. I checked the mix but not the PSI, put it in the car.

The next morning, after it had cooled all night, we're gearing up for a beach dive. I mount my 1978 Mk5 yoke regulator to it, crack the valve & ease it on to pressurize. Imagine my surprise when my gauge read 3950 :shocked:

We got in the water quickly & started breathing it down. Longest single tank dive I've ever done :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom