Scariest Air Fill of my Life!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope you didn't took this as a personal atack,it was not.
Maybe I should have used more :D:D:D:D

A few people had made comments about it, and I just wanted to clarify :)

Wayward son--I remember reading about that! I've told that story to a few people! Never fails to make me laugh! :)

I got a nice fill once. Won't name the shop, I like them, but it did freak me out a bit.

I took my AL100 in for a fill. 3300 rated, 3500 for a hot fill is OK by me. I checked the mix but not the PSI, put it in the car.

The next morning, after it had cooled all night, we're gearing up for a beach dive. I mount my 1978 Mk5 yoke regulator to it, crack the valve & ease it on to pressurize. Imagine my surprise when my gauge read 3950 :shocked:

We got in the water quickly & started breathing it down. Longest single tank dive I've ever done :wink:

OMG!!! :rofl3:

Hey jahjah, was this guy hired to do their regulator service, too?

I was taking a class this past year where all of us got our fills at one particular shop where we have a good relationship.

My double 119s (3442psi rated) had the lowest fill at 3800.

Hey stop being nasty about Dive Shops! Where are you going to get your tanks filled when the Internet puts them out of business !

After this year...in my garage!!! :D I have ran across several people that had no idea about filling a tank and they were left alone.

He still wants me to leave them, because "you wanted them each filled to 3300, and I can't get the compressor to get higher than 3300, and if you have two tanks filled to 3300, shouldn't that be 6600? If you leave them till 6:30, an instructor is coming over who can figure out how to make it work."

Well, if he couldn't get it up to 6600, you should get a 50% discount, right? :wink:

(joking!)

:rofl3:
Maybe you should take him out for lunch at your student cafeteria:rofl3:and maybe just maybe he can help out with your BP issue. He probably was grateful that you were so patient with him and will give you better service from now on.

:eek:fftopic:
I was flying into a southeast Missouri airport about 15 years ago, and saw a new lineman coming up to great me as I was getting off the plane. I handed him a 5 gallon bucket and told him that I only needed 4 gallons of prop wash and about 8 feet of flight line from the maint shop. About 2 minutes later I heard this yelling from the maint shop foreman, "You want what? Boy, YOU are dumb, D...U...M... dumb"

Sorry your 21 percent fill reminded me of old times.

K9Pig

I had my 2400 95 in for a VIP and fill. Came back a few days later and the dive shop owner said I needed a new burst disk, did I want to buy it now?

I hadn't used the tank in a while, didn't think very hard about it, and was about to agree to pay for a disk when I realized that I had brought the tank in with air remaining in the tank. I reminded the dive shop owner that there was air in the tank when I brought it in, and why he should have remembered there was air in the tank when I brought it in for the VIP and fill (long story.) I didn't ask who overfilled the tank, but found out later it was the dive shop owner...he had a habit off trying to do a few tasks at once, and sometimes doesn't stay with the tank as they are filled.

I wonder if this will cause a problem for the next hydro?

Jeff

No, it shouldn't cause a problem. Down here that is a normal fill in a LP steel. :D

Actually, a LP steel only reaches its rated capacity at 2640 PSI, the + rating.

Back
Top Bottom