SB Paid Subscriptions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like it............but that seems to be the business model these days. Get people hooked and then charge them.

Get people hooked and then charge them.

Did you even read what Tech Admin said?

Tech Admin:
nothing is taken away or lost by not joining up, it is merely a bonus service.

No charge for what you already have. If you're hooked, you can continue as before at no charge.

So did i let the cat out of the bag by mentioning this and get some wondering what benefits you can get and others up in arms when its not really even an option yet?

Walter:
Did you even read what Tech Admin said?

No charge for what you already have. If you're hooked, you can continue as before at no charge.

Yep, but money talks and.............. I don't care, whatever.

simbrooks:
So did i let the cat out of the bag by mentioning this and get some wondering what benefits you can get and others up in arms when its not really even an option yet?
Bah, people just like to whine. I think it's a great idea. Many sites use this model (such as /., ReefCentral etc etc). Basically, by saying that no functionality will disappear for non-paying members, you invalidate a lot of complaints since nothing will change - paying memebers will just get a little extra. No big deal - seems perfectly equitable to me.

ShakaZulu:
Yep, but money talks and.............. I don't care, whatever.

nice attitude :flush:

My two cents.... Back a few years back I found another site that deals with another hobby I have. That site has membership as well. They accept as little as $1US/yr. They do give members a few additional perks, nothing major. I consider it a "webazine" subscription price. Would I consider sending this place $9.95/yr, yes because I feel it has value. If the base subscription rate was $25/yr, that might be a bit rich for me right now.

This site started as an afterthought to a "bigger" business plan by someone else a long time ago. Well that plan never materialized and ScubaBoard almost went completely under. When I was given ownership and we subsequently went "commercial" last year there were all sorts rumors of all the wealth we would be rolling in. Bwahahaha! Most of what little money we have made has gone back into the system and functionality of the board... like our photo gallery and new market place. We have gone from piggy backing off of the "bigger" business plan's server to having not one but TWO dedicated servers, and we probably need to add another server and a co-location site or two as well. This costs money... lots of money.

On top of that, both Tech Admin and myself spend a HUGE quantity of time making this baby hum as well. I hardly ever get to post on the "real board" as administration takes up a ton of my time. So yes, I need to replace some of my lost income so I can continue to make this place better and better and frankly so does Tech Admin.

We will never get "rich", but the board WILL get better and better. As TA said, we do not anticipate changing ANY of the current functionality for the basic user. However we are still determining just what perks we should offer with this "subscription". This is a major hint, people... TELL US WHAT YOU WANT! We may not be able to give you those cyber air fills, but there are other things that we CAN do. I.E. increased PM storage, user@ScubaBoard.com e-mail, your name in lights, discounts on SBDeals, etc etc. What would be important to you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom