SB Invade the Rock 2010... when and where.....

Aussie Invasion 2010 - when and where

• lets repeat - SWR in early March!

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • SWR again but a different month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • somewhere in Queensland (ie, HMAS brisbane or Straddie)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • somewhere cold (ie, Tassie or Sth Aust)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • somewhere on the west coast (ie, West Aust)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd still love to come folks, but can't really afford the whole week off. I was thinking about doing a couple of days - especially if people are diving either the weekend before, or after, so I can extend into the weekend?

Hi well they run dives each day so you could come up for just a few days :) I'm only there from Sun to Fri myself but perhaps others might be around.

Hmm. If I may ask a dumb question - what certification would be required (or recommended?) to swim the cave end-to-end? My buddy and I are only AOW.

AOW is fine. It can be current prone so being comfortable with currents is good. Also sometimes the ride out there can be rough (especially over the sandbar) so take seasickness meds if you have issues there. They are very good at changing sites to more sheltered areas though. And there are DMs in the water with you the whole time. You can either just do your own thing and they will hover in the background or you can be lead by them. Going through the cave you will be lead by a DM.

Yes they will get you in the water and observe before they decide if they will take you through the cave. They are very good at tailoring the dive to the people.. they may even have you do the shallow entrance and let you penetrate as far as you are comfortable before doing the entire thing.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yup, we're pretty comfortable with currents and rough boat rides (diving outside the heads will do that). FWIW, we were about to start more advanced courses with PADI, but decided that another agency might be a better choice for our tech-diving education. I'm still negotiating here, but hope to be able to get away for some of this. Only just discovered that March 8 is Labour Day in Victoria, which helps.

So you're driving saspotatoe? Any chance of lugging some gear for us? :)

Sure! What do you want me to take? I won't be back until the Sunday though so you would be without your gear for a week.

Sure! What do you want me to take? I won't be back until the Sunday though so you would be without your gear for a week.

Um, all the heavy bits of our dive gear? :) Tanks, weights, BCD? I'm thinking about taking the whole week now that Monday is a holiday anyway. Aren't you going to get totally bored driving all that way?

Um, all the heavy bits of our dive gear? :) Tanks, weights, BCD? I'm thinking about taking the whole week now that Monday is a holiday anyway. Aren't you going to get totally bored driving all that way?

Sure that will be fine. How many tanks will you have?

Yep I will get bored most likely by the seventh hour. I can tend to make it that long without hassle. For the next two hours, I'll see :wink: I've done the trip to Sydney a number of times but sharing the driving with my sister. She drives like a lunatic so I am expecting this trip to be more relaxing anyway. My plan is to leave on Friday night (as I am staying in Sydney either side of the Fish Rock trip), so we can organise to meet up Thursday night and I can grab the gear then (I live in Hawthorn, how about you?) then I will return Sunday and you can either pick it up Sunday afternoon at my place or a week night that week. How does that work?

Hey Sas you are a great lady!

Back
Top Bottom