Say "No" To Shark's Fin Soup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Sheesh... get a grip folks. You're letting a 16 year old kid troll you. :D

Hmmm, I hadn't checked his profile but suspected youth based on the position and defense of it. Nothing wrong with gently trying to change another's mind on issues like this where action needs to be taken. I remember the days (decades ago) when blue sharks were very common in my waters... haven't seen one in years.

Does anyone make a "Shark-less fin soup?" Kind of like a diet cola? I'd be interested in tasting thes oup itself without the fin.

Dr. Bill

Oh, I see how it is. I dissagree with what someone says and Im a troll, excellent way of putting it there.

Im sorry Ill agree with what everyone says from now on, to avoid being called a troll. Geez, Id expect a bit more from a SB staff memeber.

Anyway, I dont promote spearfishing because I believe that the animal should be left in the sea, but with sharkfin soup, the sharks already been killed. I highly doubt theyre killing sharks JUST for me.

WoW Dr.Bill I know alot of people older than me that eat sharkfin soup, so what are you saying, if you like to eat sharkfin soup you must be below the age of 30? Plus why do I have to justify why I eat it? I like it.

Yea, its sad about the blue sharks. I hear theyre used to be alot around the Doria shipwreck that used to torment divers going down. Now youd be lucky to even catch a glimpse of one.

I tried sharkfin soup, years ago-once. It had threads and was gelatinous-snotlike. I can't see why anyone would eat it. Then again there are people that like sea cucumber. In my opinion this is like a campaign to stop people from eating boiled okra. I hereby pledge not to eat sharkfin soup, boiled okra or other gelatinous stringy foods.

Scubacollin:
Anyway, I dont promote spearfishing because I believe that the animal should be left in the sea, but with sharkfin soup, the sharks already been killed. I highly doubt theyre killing sharks JUST for me.
There's so much wrong with this logic, I don't even know where to begin. I can only hope that you will wise up as you get older and then remember that you wrote this.

ScubaCollin:
You *really* just don't get it. It's supply and demand. By buying shark fin soup, you're adding demand. Yes, the shark is already dead, but by buying a bowl, you're enforcing to the seller that there is a market, and he goes through stock quicker, and in turn buys more. So more sharks will be killed in future because you ate a dead shark today.

If you ate a bowl of sharkfin soup once a month, that's 12 bowls a year. Say it takes one shark fin to make a bowls of soup - that's 4 more sharks (assuming 12 fins, 3 fins per shark) that will be killed in the next 12 months, JUST FOR YOU. Those sharks aren't dead yet. The guy you buy soup from (YOUR supplier) needs 12 more fins a year, so he buys 12 extra from HIS supplier. The guy selling him the fins (probably a wholesaler) now needs 12 more fins - so he puts an order in to HIS supplier - etc etc. It goes all the way back to the fishermen - who kill another 4 sharks to meet demand. Okay, so they're not going to go out one day and specifically kill 4 more sharks and say "these are for Collin", but at the end of the year, they needed 4 more sharks than they would if you weren't buying the soup. Now if you and a friend stopped eating soup, that would be 8 less sharks a year. 10 less people = 40 less sharks a year. 100 less people = 400 less sharks a year. Adds up quick doesn't it?

I agree! No shark-fin soup (or anything shark, for that matter) for me.

Interested in learning more about sustainable seafood choices?
Check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium's "Seafood Watch":
http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_aboutsfw.asp

It's a very easy-to-use website produced by some of the folks at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

ScubaCollin:
... WoW Dr.Bill I know alot of people older than me that eat sharkfin soup, so what are you saying, if you like to eat sharkfin soup you must be below the age of 30? Plus why do I have to justify why I eat it? I like it.

I think you missed the logic involved again. I see no logical step from my statements to yours above. My reference was to the logic you used in justifying the consumption of shark fin soup. Your age has nothing to do with your consumption of it IMHO, just the logic you used to defend your position.

I, for one, don't consider you a troll. I've never seen you in person and trolls are reported darned ugly creatures!

Dr. Bill

Scubaroo:
You *really* just don't get it. It's supply and demand. By buying shark fin soup, you're adding demand. Yes, the shark is already dead, but by buying a bowl, you're enforcing to the seller that there is a market, and he goes through stock quicker, and in turn buys more. So more sharks will be killed in future because you ate a dead shark today.

If you ate a bowl of sharkfin soup once a month, that's 12 bowls a year. Say it takes one shark fin to make a bowls of soup - that's 4 more sharks (assuming 12 fins, 3 fins per shark) that will be killed in the next 12 months, JUST FOR YOU. Those sharks aren't dead yet. The guy you buy soup from (YOUR supplier) needs 12 more fins a year, so he buys 12 extra from HIS supplier. The guy selling him the fins (probably a wholesaler) now needs 12 more fins - so he puts an order in to HIS supplier - etc etc. It goes all the way back to the fishermen - who kill another 4 sharks to meet demand. Okay, so they're not going to go out one day and specifically kill 4 more sharks and say "these are for Collin", but at the end of the year, they needed 4 more sharks than they would if you weren't buying the soup. Now if you and a friend stopped eating soup, that would be 8 less sharks a year. 10 less people = 40 less sharks a year. 100 less people = 400 less sharks a year. Adds up quick doesn't it?

Listen, I know what youre saying. I may be 16, you may think because of my age Im a moron. But honestly, do you truely believe that if I were to stop eating sharkfin soup that people would stop doing it? No people will always do it, and its sad, I agree. But im sorry, I like it. Its good, me IMO I dont belive that stopping will effect the amount of sharkfin soup being sold. Im sorry if I offended any of you, I will stop posting here. Contrary to what most people think. I did not post here to troll, I simply posted here to state my opinion. But if you are going to insult me DO NOT blame it on my age, because Ive met 40 year olds who act like 16 year olds and Ive met 16 year old who act like 40 year olds. If you dont agree with what im saying, call me bullheaded, or stupid. Im fine with that, Im just sick of being looked down on because of my age.

Ive always respected those on ScubaBoards unless they dissrespect me. I have nothing against your Dr.Bill and others, all divers are great people. Some just like to express their opinion more than others. This board has some of the most friendly people on a forum Ive ever met. Ive learnt much of what I know now thanx to many of you.

Back
Top Bottom