Say "No" To Shark's Fin Soup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed_Dman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Let us unite our voices and say a big, "No" to shark's fin soup!

Shark's fin soup was first considered as a royal dish and only consumed by the emperor of China! Today, shark's fin soup is consumed throughout the world, especially by a majority of Asian!

Eventhough, I'm an asian, I refused to be one of the consumer! I would rather see them alive and cruising through the waters than seeing them dead, in a bowl. Shark's fin soup is consider as an expensive delicacy in the asian community, but it's silly to think so. It is not the shark's fin that makes the soup tasted good, it is the flavor of the soup. If you try tasting a shark's fin plainly, it tasted just like a boiled finger nail! It's tasteless! Therefore, I think killing millions of shark each year to please some humans appetide is definitely not right! I sincerely ask those of you (who are still consuming shark's fin), please stop and start to say, "No" to shark's fin! This also applied to every other products made from Sharks!
When The Buying Stops, The Killing too Will Stop!

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ed. :scubadive:

A resounding NO here! nor shark steaks, nor anything shark. As a matter of fact...I tend not to buy any salt water fish for eating. Just disappearing so fast. Farmed freshwater fish for me!

I love sharks..and that should be stopped that is just an awful thing to do..kill a shark for a fin. I don't eat seafood cause i'm allergic and even if i did i wouldn't eat that. sharks should be seen in the ocean's not in bowls.

Check the menu next time you eat at a chinese restaurant - you'll be surprised how many in Australia and the US still serve sharkfin.

Or go for a walk through Chinatown in San Francisco - you can see boxes of dried fins for sale in some stores.

Scubaroo:
Check the menu next time you eat at a chinese restaurant - you'll be surprised how many in Australia and the US still serve sharkfin.

You beat me to it. If a restaurant has it on the menu we do not eat there. And I make a point to politely, but firmly, let management know that it is unacceptable. Then I pass the word to friends & family.

We definitely agreed! Sharks protect the reef, in return, the reef protects us and if we do not protect them (the sharks), who will?

We definitely say a big, "No" to shark's fin soup and that extend to game hunters and producers of shark's products as well!

For every bowl of sharks fin soup, million of sharks are killed yearly and for every human killed by a shark, 2 million sharks are killed by humans. Twelve millions sharks are killed by humans each year, compared to six humans killed by sharks. At the rate at which shark fishing is proceeding, humans are definitely jeopardizing the world populations of apex predators that are essential to the health of the marine communities.

If humans are not part of the sharks food chain, then why should the sharks be part of the humans?

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ocean Xplorer.

Agreed, I used to love it, and have given it up for years, kills so many as well as other damage to the ocean critters.

Also, try to avoid eating Patagonia Tooth Fish (aka Chilean Sea Bass). A wonderful tasting fish that lends itself to many dishes. Unfortunately its being completely overfished and will so be gone if we don't let it restock. A concerted effort to lay off it for awhile will allow us to enjoy it again soon.

Also, check out what these suckers look like in a google image search: Patagonia Tooth fish.

Back
Top Bottom