Say "No" To Shark's Fin Soup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCollin- I think again you are missing the point... IF enough people individually make the decision NOT to eat shark fin soup, the market will decline. Your solitary choice would have no impact, but that of thousands or tens of thousands might. This is why there are vigorous educational campaigns to try to get people to understand the problem nd each make individual decisions in their daily lives that might reduce or eliminate it.

If you truly care about the marine environment, and understand the specifics of this issue, you will probably not be tempted (or maybe just a tiny bit like I was). Of course if you just want to satisfy your personal desires or "intellectual curiosity" (my phrase), you're going to make a different choice.

Dr. Bill

drbill

I 100% agree it is up to every individual to make the choice, and if one person is brave enough to stand up for their beliefs perhaps many more will stand by them.

We all know what has been ruined on our planet lets try to save the seas, its not too late.

Ill keep eating it, I know what youre trying to say DrBill, but untill I see more community support. Ill keep eating it, maybe once more and more places stop making it and it becomes harder to find, Ill stop. I get the point youre trying to make, I just look at is like this.

Shark fin soup will be around for quite sometime, me as one person stopping now wouldnt make any difference in the situation. Maybe if I see more people (not just a couple hundred) protesting this, Ill stop. But untill then, bring on the sharkfin soup.

ScubaCollin:
Yum sharkfin soup

The taste comes from the soup, NOT the shark fin—like many expensive Chinese dishes (white abalone, bird nest, sea urchin etc.), the shark fin is there to contribute texture and “mouth-feel,” as well as the “prestige” of using a rare/costly ingredient. Substitute glass noodles for the shark fins and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference—unless you just want to show off, of course.

The campaign to stop people eating sharkfins consists of more than just a 'couple hundred' protestors, and it is gaining momentum worldwide. For example, in 2001 it was reported in Taiwan that at President Chen Shui-bians engagement party for his daughter oyster soup was served instead of shark fin soup on environmental grounds. Groups like Asia Shark Watch and WhaleSharkThai, run by Asian activists, are raising regional awareness of finning and other shark conservation issues.

To not only ignore this problem but to actively contribute to it by being a consumer is, in my opinion, morally reprehensible. I wouldn't care if I was in a majority consisting of every other human being on the planet, or if I was the only one opposed to this wasteful, destructive practice - I would not be a part of the problem.

Why jump on the bandwagon down the track when you feel it's more socially acceptable? Why not take a stand on this now, and stop lining the pockets of those who profit from these destructive practices?

ScubaCollin:
Ill keep eating it, I know what youre trying to say DrBill, but untill I see more community support. Ill keep eating it, maybe once more and more places stop making it and it becomes harder to find, Ill stop. I get the point youre trying to make, I just look at is like this.

Shark fin soup will be around for quite sometime, me as one person stopping now wouldnt make any difference in the situation. Maybe if I see more people (not just a couple hundred) protesting this, Ill stop. But untill then, bring on the sharkfin soup.
Aren't you the guy that hates spearfishing? (from another thread). So it's not okay to spearfish, but it's okay to kill sharks and harvest maybe 1% of their bodyweight (the fins) and dump the rest back in the ocean? Because that's the ugly truth of shark finning - the shark isn't "already dead" - it's been killed for it's fins so you can eat a bowl of soup. The rest is thrown back. Why bring one hundred sharks back to shore in your fishing boat when you can fit a hundred fins in the same space a single shark takes up, worth maybe a hundred times more per kg/lb than regular shark meat.

***?!?

edit - when did W.T.F. become a bad word that gets censored around here?

If you think I'm kidding, check out these photos:

(Illegal) sharks fins on a boat:
http://www.afma.gov.au/education/gallery/illegal/fins2.jpg

Dead sharks underwater dumped off a boat (minus fins):
http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/graphics/finned_shark.jpg
http://internt.nhm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wildwin/2002/pics/76.jpg
http://e-nekton.com/archive/edition3/fin1.jpg

Dumped shark carcasses brought on shore (then dumped as no commercial value):
http://www.zoo.co.uk/~z9015043/FINNING.jpg

ScubaCollin!

I'm surprised with all your statements, you being a westerner! As a chinese, I was brought up eating sharks fin soup as a delicacy, if I can say "No", why can't you. I know that it's up to an individual to decide, wheather to eat or stop eating. Why wait for others to do so, why not start with yourself? Don't wait for the industry to stop, then you stop! In that way, there's no contribution on your part! Let's not enjoy what others built, let's enjoy building it together!

Do you know that sharks fin soup taste good, not because of the fin, it's the taste of the soup. I know a few restaurant here in Malaysia that offer the same taste soup without the sharks fin. It tasted as good and much cheaper! Try going to a restaurant and ask them to make 2 different soup (one with the fins & one without), they tasted the same.

If you notice that more and more restaurants that offer sharks fin soup tend to put the fins on top of the soup rather than mixing them up? It's because there are fake sharks fin and if they are boiled, they'll melt. Why pay so much more and they are not neccessary real?

The bottom line is still up to you to decide. Remember, you might get to see sharks now, but your kids or grandchildren might not! Save your money on Sharks Fin Soup and Dive More! Make the diferrence today!

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ed. :scubadive:

Say "No" To Sharks Fin Soup Today!

Uncle Pug:
Sheesh... get a grip folks. You're letting a 16 year old kid troll you. :D
The question still stands UP, and I'm not letting this one go -

when did W.T.F. become a censored word around here :11ztongue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom