Saw this on Another Forum...Deep Deep Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brewone0to:
JB,
I've been reading this thread,and I just can't believe that it would be of any more use that the diver in your avitar(with a gun drawn underwater)So,I just Have this one thing to say about it, and then I'll subside and leave you to your fantasy.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOUR TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I'll have to get that key fixed.

Hmm, I like my avatar. And you're probably right. But it's fun to think about.

JB

RockPile:
I'm not really concerned about who is doing the liquid breathing so much as I am with whether it's being done.
I would imagine it is being done by lab critters at this point. The risk/ reward ratio is not there for putting humans through it. Humans are just too expensive for such things.
RockPile:
Just from what I understand about the military division of labor, I think that anything worth risking as much as breathing a liquid would not be handled by normal Navy divers.
True enough, but SEALs would be a worse choice than the harbor clearance guys.
RockPile:
But who knows. Breathing a liquid is just as much foreign to deep hardhat divers as it is to combat divers rebreathing at 30' feet.
It is not even close. Saturation divers deal with changes in breathing gasses as a matter of course. SEALs have considerably more important things to worry about.
RockPile:
That said, SEALs are well trained to dive deeper than 60ft.
Not on a routine basis. Those guys spend a lot of time on Draegers breathing 100%.

If anybody needs to breathe liquid for deep diving, it's the deep-sea biologists. Like *cough* ME. It should be tested on undergraduates first.:14:

DavidPT40:
What about submarine rescue? That would be a good application for this technology.
The setup time is too long.

An ROV and a DSRV would be much faster. You are going to need to get a DSRV or something like it to the site anyway.

Keep in mind that a DSRV has never performed a submarine rescue.

Too many post to read between posting and last page so if this is a repeat sorry. I have to think dig a hole is a relative term at 1200m isn't there like a mile of sediment and most of it soft? I think those missing divers are probably buried under tons of sediment. By the way why would someone go down 1200m when that is way deeper than a real Navy sub would normally go. Can they go that deep probably but do they, no because they don't need to. Seriously the Iraqi navy could have been taken out by two twelve year olds with Fire Crackers and swimmies. It would be stretch to use super new technology that is untested (relatively) when one or two missile would have done the job.

ScottB:
I was in the US Navy for 5 years.. and I can tell you EXACTLY what use there would be for diving to 8000 ft..

Painting anything that doesn't move, painting it twice if it does move, needle-gunning off the rust, and doing it over... there has to be a few wrecks at that depth that need some preventative maintenence.. =)

I'll shutup now

Take care everyone

Scott

LOL. Anybody who ever enlisted in the Navy can sure identify with that remark. And my wife wonders why I have such an aversion to painting anything. As for SeALs, I've known a few in my time. Interestingly enough, met them at the auto hobby shop in Pearl and helped them work on their cars. They were mostly a quiet bunch who would lend a hand with just about anything if you asked. They certainly didn't blab about ongoing projects or neat toys they worked with. We talked diving because it was a common interest, mostly swapping info about sites in the islands we had dived. If someone were to bring up the hush hush aspect of their work (or my favorite: "so how many people have you killed?"), they would smile politely and change the subject.

Anyhoo, I wanted to throw something out there and see what sticks. With all this talk of using a fluoricarbon liquid as a breathing medium, I started to wonder...what if instead of using gasses like helium and hydrogen to mix with air and oxygen for breathing mixes, why not use a vapor form of a halocarbon as part of the mix? Bear with me a moment, here...The whole idea of using mixed gasses is to offset problems such as oxygen toxcicity, nitrogen narcosis, dissolved nitrogen and DCS. What if we could substitute a totally benign gas that had no toxicity at any partial pressure, would not dissolve in blood, would non-reactively blend with oxygen and had no narcotic effect? There are literally hundreds of these so called "freon" compounds, some pure molecules, some azeotropic molecules and many blends of both categories. Has anyone ever heard of any research done on mixed gas halocarbon diving?

diversolo:
As for SeALs, I've known a few in my time. Interestingly enough, met them at the auto hobby shop in Pearl and helped them work on their cars. They were mostly a quiet bunch who would lend a hand with just about anything if you asked. They certainly didn't blab about ongoing projects or neat toys they worked with. We talked diving because it was a common interest, mostly swapping info about sites in the islands we had dived. If someone were to bring up the hush hush aspect of their work (or my favorite: "so how many people have you killed?"), they would smile politely and change the subject.
I have worked with SEALs and several of the Navy diving subcommunities and that has been my experience. Like submariners, they realized their lives in some part depended on those before them keeping their mouths shut and they made an effort to pay that forward.

There were some I would not want representing me in congress, but I could work with any of them.

If they are calling shek exely and idiot (who was a fairly good friend of mine and happened to have a PhD) then i dont want to hear anything they have to say

D1V3R:
If they are calling shek exely and idiot (who was a fairly good friend of mine and happened to have a PhD) then i dont want to hear anything they have to say
Is there an English version of this?

I have only a vague idea of what the words you used are supposed to mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom