Saving Your Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my initial list of events on that dive vacation, I forgot to mention one--another diver and his wife had new masks that had not been scrubbed. We used my cigarette lighter to take care of that.

As for dry suits, a couple years ago, my buddy and I were supposed to be the first of three groups to go off the boat at a dive site. As I put on my dry suit, I tore a wrist seal. I was using the SiTec ring system, and as a result I had it replaced in time for us to be the third group to splash, with no other loss of time.

Last edited:
I have a small kit for "on the boat" stuff - orings, a bit of bungee, cable wraps, spare mouthpiece, scuba tool sufficient to tighten hoses or port plugs. It is very compact -- also has very small first aid kit, tylenol, etc. All of that, together with cash, c-cards, hotel key, what-have-you fits in a small pouch.

BTW, google the Magpul DAKA pouch, which is awesome. It won't keep out the water if submerged, but it is waterproof against anything else and is great for this application.

I have a deeper inventory of stuff back at the hotel/condo. It is usually scaled to the remoteness of the location, type of diving and, rarely, how tight I am on baggage weight. But, it would usually have a spare LP inflator, additional tools, IP gauge, spare bolt snaps, a bit of cave line, bungee, spare thin SPG and/or button gauge, and spare batteries for everything - 2032, 2450, CR2, SAFT, whatever the dive computers need. All that stuff can fit in a pouch about the size of a club sandwich and doesn't weigh much.

I might also carry a spare 1st/2nd stage & hoses if I were going more remote and if it's a CCR trip, the kit is more extensive.

Sure, I could leave that stuff at home and plan on working around most failures, but provided I have the baggage capacity to bring those materials, having a pretty complete kit will always be Plan A.

I carry backup Regs, PDC and mask. Of course, before I get on a plane, I thoroughly inspect all of my kit to be sure it's gonna last. If I'm going to dive a new mask hopefully, it will be before a trip and not during. I do carry an IP Gauge and two wrenches with one from www.DiveRightInScuba.com

View attachment 461132

Star Tool

View attachment 461133
No idea where to source this one now​

Damn! I wish I had seen the star tool before I bought two wrenches that arrived today.

...//... 2 adjustable wrenches (yes I know they can mar the surface) ...
So can thin fixed wrenches, they are notorious for twisting if you apply too much force. As for adjustables, keep a constant tightening force on the worm gear while wiggling the wrench back and forth until the jaw locks. Then you are good to go.

Aquaseal, extra pdc, :)mouthpiece, spare mask, spare mask strap, spare fin straps,, orings,silicon,and often a spare hose, spare set of lycra socks which have saved my dive trip once but more often the feet of other divers, thereby saving their trip :), batteries for computer

I don't shore dive nor drive to dive. Weight and space are the biggest factors to me

Last edited:
I MacGyver myself something similar by getting a normal adjustable and running it over a grinder for a few minutes (making sure I don't overheat them by regular dunks in water to keep the temper)- lovely thin jaws that are perfect for hoses etc. Costs me a lot less than the price of that wrench. Not worried about screwing up the flats on anything because, lets face it, nothing should be that tight that you need to force it (should be a nip over hand tight for just about everything).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom