Saving Your Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tools? These days it isn't about size, thickness or volume...
Weight is the consideration

image.jpeg

And you'll want to add in the METRIC set, as well.

Funnily enough last weekend on a 2 night trip, finally changed my LPI valve with one in my spares box I always carry. It' had been leaking for a while and it seemed that 50% of the gas was coming out of the button rather than going into the wing. Of course it had been getting worse over the last few weeks and I had kept meaning to change it.

If I'm going away on a trip things are different. My gear geats dive most weeks, so I know the condition of it. Even so the regs get put into service 6-8 weeks before the trip and dived a few times before the vacation, and the wings, a good look over

I change my hoses every 2 years regardless - because of the climate here and how it causes premature aging - again if a trip is coming up and the hoses a near a change, then they get done. (the old hoses get kept as spares)

On a trip I always take a spare reg set on top of basic tools Just so I can be self sufficient - nothing worse than the shop not having hex keys to hand. obviously O-rings a mask and some fin straps. My wife broke a fin strap on her XT's a few years ago. We didn't' have a spare so se dived with shop fins and hated them - lesson learned.

A lot of good ideas have already been presented, but I will add an item specific to certain dive locations. If you are going to be diving in the Middle East or a place where DIN is the standard valve, I would carry a couple of spare DIN inserts. On a recent dive trip to the Red Sea, I went through 3 Dive Op supplied DIN inserts before I found one that did not leak at the yoke connection point. I was about ready to pull out the spare DIN insert in my SAD kit when the last one they had on the boat worked as required.

I dive locally and I take what I need to repair my second stages and I have a stage set I can canabalize if need be on a boat dive. I have little adjustable wrenches and a hex set that go in a little drybox with my C-cards, mask defogger, etc. I will add a backup mask and more o-rings at some point.

O-rings, a patch kit, and a small tool set with adjustable wrenches and an Allen key set are the basics of my SAD kit. There's a lot more (my watertight SAD box is pretty much full), but all the other stuff is secondary.

New to the drysuit game so I'm not sure how necessary it is, but I just ordered some spare drysuit seals in preparation for a trip to Cali. A little pricey, but I'm not planning on bringing a wetsuit and I would hate to miss a dive because of a torn seal.

Other than that, standard items that come with me on every trip are a multitool, extra hex wrenches, extra port plugs, o-rings galore, spare mask, spare double ender, spare fin strap, backup light, and if weight permits, a backup reg I've been saving for a slung backup gas cylinder. After reading this thread, I need to add duck tape, zip ties and an adjustable wrench.

New to the drysuit game so I'm not sure how necessary it is, but I just ordered some spare drysuit seals in preparation for a trip to Cali. A little pricey, but I'm not planning on bringing a wetsuit and I would hate to miss a dive because of a torn seal.
Did you include glue? Or are your seals field-replaceable (ring system or similar)?

Did you include glue? Or are your seals field-replaceable (ring system or similar)?
I have the sitech quick neck and wrist seals so Ill just have to bring the little roller tool that came with them. I should probably practice that skill before I actually have to do it, but I'd hate to accidentally tear a perfectly good seal. Just have to settle for YouTube instructional videos for now.

I have the sitech quick neck and wrist seals so Ill just have to bring the little roller tool that came with them. I should probably practice that skill before I actually have to do it, but I'd hate to accidentally tear a perfectly good seal. Just have to settle for YouTube instructional videos for now.
Ah. Same as i have (I dive a Waterproof DS). And like you, a set of seals can be found in my SAD kit. However, if you use latex instead of silicone seals, you can save a torn seal weekend with a patch kit and/or a roll of electrical tape. Just make sure to plan your dive so that a flooded suit doesn't lead to an emergency (been there, done that, got the T-shirt)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom