Save the Goliath Grouper!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh?

I'm guessing you don't fish. Because when you fish, you can't really control what you hook. And nobody is "pusuing" anything with a fishing pole.

I am not interested in an interweb melt down on your part because I offered an opinion you do not like. I stay by what I said. You understood exactly how I correctly used the word "pursue" and you just want to do the argument thing. I will pass on that, but thanks for the invite.

And, you guessed wrong.

James

Kind of like hunting cows, yeah, they are good to eat, but where is the sport and challenge. It smacks of greed to me.
Apparently, you’ve never hooked a GG? There are charters that specialize in taking clients to catch GG. Even though they are catch and release only. If there was no sport or challenge, these charters wouldn’t have many customers.

When hooked, they don’t just casually swim up to the surface. They’ll fight every step of the way.

Paywall; can't read.

Thanks. Temporary good news.

And I wouldn't trust REEF to inventory the rolls of toilet paper in a portalet given the make up of the organization and it's leadership and thier attitude towards widespread closures of the Florida Keys.
Would you elaborate on the mistrust of REEF please, in particular the makeup of the organization and its leadership?

Paywall; can't read.
Sorry about that.

For several decades now I have subscribed to the New York Times and the local paper of record where I reside. I was unaware that you need a subscription to the Sun-Sentinel to access the article.

To encapsulate: the article sated that pending a review, a three month season will open in March 2023, allowing for the harvest of 200 Goliath Grouper between 20 and 36 inches, weighing between 5 to 32 pounds. Each permit will cost $500.00, and the fish will not be allowed to be harvested between Martin County south through the Keys.

To reiterate, this is the commission’s preliminary decision, and all aspects are pending review. I’ll take a wild guess and figure that the first aspect of this proposal to be rescinded will be to lower the cost of each permit.

Sorry about that.

For several decades now I have subscribed to the New York Times and the local paper of record where I reside. I was unaware that you need a subscription to the Sun-Sentinel to access the article.

To encapsulate: the article sated that pending a review, a three month season will open in March 2023, allowing for the harvest of 200 Goliath Grouper between 20 and 36 inches, weighing between 5 to 32 pounds. Each permit will cost $500.00, and the fish will not be allowed to be harvested between Martin County south through the Keys.

To reiterate, this is the commission’s preliminary decision, and all aspects are pending review. I’ll take a wild guess and figure that the first aspect of this proposal to be rescinded will be to lower the cost of each permit.
My understanding is that at 20 to 36 inches they are still in the mangroves? I don't think I have ever seen one that size on a dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom