Save me from myself (Too "safe"?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious how having a pony gives someone a false sense of security?

In my mind, having a redundant air system that I possess, I maintain and I control is far more "secure" than relying on a system strapped to someone else, who may be at an unknown distance from me at exactly the moment I need it, and of which I have no real idea of how it has been maintained. The number of uncontrolled variables are astounding when you think about it.

We tend to look at buddy skills when considering the pros and cons of redundancy but there is another skill set that is often ignored; the response to imminent danger. Some are cool and collected under pressure but many people may resort to a "flight of fight" reflex when it comes to air failure because they feel they have limited options ie. 1: their buddy. This allows only a moment to locate and assess distance, and either go for it or bolt. While we tell each other good buddy skills will reduce this reaction, most divers never actually practice a realistic OOA and have no reference to judge how they will react. They assume they will be fine as long as everybody remains on the same page and responds as they are "supposed" to. But their first OOA is virgin territory as far as response goes. Then it's down to "guess" (my buddies close enough and I can hold my breath that long) and "hope" (everything works out) or bolt...

A pony system (or twinset) interrupts that fight of flight response and allows a third option. Calm bailout to the redundant system and rational assessment of the next action. This may be ascent, communication with buddy or resolution of the issue UW. All while breathing from a known airsource that was accessed in a non stressed manner.

Some people will say the pony user inherently lacks discipline to practice skills and relies on a crutch. That's a false argument that ascribes negative behavior traits to the individual in order to denigrate the operational value of a system. Others reject the need by creating a situation where the variables are eliminated, by selection, standardization and training - a good gig for some but not realistic for all divers all the time.

It's everyones choice as to what equipment one chooses but beware the ego sentiment that suggests ones skills or situation are too "good" to require a crutch, remembering that at one time some divers considered BCD's and SPG's to be the same.

And this sort of planning puts you into an overhead environment----? I will stay with what I said.

N

Ummm, Not according to NAUI

Vertical Access. Students are to have immediate vertical
access to the surface at all times during open water training
dives.
Exception to this policy is allowed during:
- Sanctioned specialty training courses such as wreck
diving, cavern diving, cave diving and ice diving that
plan and train for restricted vertical access.
- Controlled orientation dives for certified divers into
overhead environments when conducted by Instructors
who have the appropriate authorization.
- Diving in or under kelp canopies, underwater arches, lava
tubes, caverns, and wrecks that are illuminated by natural
sunlight and from which there is always a visible exit.

Oh, and PADI:
And PADI says, in part:

“Q. May I take divers through a short swim through or archway during training dives?
A. Yes, there are circumstances when it is OK to do this during PADI training dives. Although the “General Standards and Procedures Instructor Guide” states, “Do not conduct open water training dives or Discover Scuba Diving experience dives in caves, caverns, under ice or any situation where direct vertical access to the surface is not possble,” it’s within reason to swim with divers under archways or coral/rock formations that are short, very easy to swim through, well lit, open and pose only a very brief overhead obstruction — as might be the case when directing an ascent from a dive with a moored boat over head.”

I stand by my planning

I agree with DaleC on pony bottles. Some cite the "Equipment solution to a skills problem" thing. Yes, your buddy should always be close enough to help each other and those skills should be practised. But a pony can't hurt, and shouldn't mean taking unwise chances (with gas supply, etc). Say it's 1981-- You shouldn't take more chances driving because there are now seat belt laws and you're wearing one.

I think it's easy enough to carry basic safety gear without turning yourself into a Christmas tree.

SMB is a good thing to have, more so if you are diving someplace that tends to have currents. I keep a small one clipped to my BC, and have a bigger one I will take if I'm someplace I feel it's more important.
Slate - I don't really think of this as a safety thing, though I suppose it could be in some circumstances. But I keep a small one in a pocket and use it often enough when something just can't be communicated by hand signals, I think it can make a dive more enjoyable.
Rare I've carried a spare mask on a dive. I used to take a spare on trips in case I needed one but don't bother anymore. I've had it dislodged but never lost completely. Situational awareness is good for many things, and one of them is keeping klutzes from knocking off your mask.
Snorkel is more likely to be useful in some circumstances than others, only you know. I keep a rollup in my pocket. Don't think I've ever used it on a dive but someday I may be happy to have it on me.
As long as you're with a trusted buddy I don't think a pony is necessary. If I were picking up instabuddies so effectively solo I might feel differently.
A light has safety uses, but is also just plain useful even in the daytime. I carry a narrow beam one all the time in my pocket, and it's a backup for my wider beam light at night. (I dive clear water, obviously different conditions call for different lights. (And I've had both lights fail on the same night dive. At least it was a full moon.)

In a pocket I also carry a signal mirror and a small strobe. And don't forget cutting devices.

Around here, most dive operators say they won't let you on their boat without an SMB and a Pony. I carry a 6 cell flashlight & a 6 cell backup flashlight, experience tells me the batteries only die underwater, never above. A hip knife and a pair of EMT shears, although in 25 years, I've only used the knife for digging. For entanglements, the EMT shears is always my first choice. (Most entanglements in the NE Atlantic are fishing line, which is often invisible until it's wrapped around your fins).

Rarely carry a slate, strobe or spare mask.

Back
Top Bottom