Savannah Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I agreed to meet a lady friend for a romantic Thanksgiving holiday in Savannah, and was wondering if there was a sneak away opportunity for a dive there. Can't be a full day trip, but a morning or afternoon could be doable. I'm guessing most dives out of Savannah are longer boat trips, but if there is a local sneak, I'd really be up for that. I'll probably pull into town on late on the 23rd and will be leaving Sunday afternoon.

Hey... I plan on being in GA this year as well... wouldn't mind hopping in the water while I'm out... Savannah seems closest to Atlanta...

Anyone know of any dive opportunities in that area?

Thanks!
--Goose

Goose
There are many great diving opportunities here in Savannah. However, there all offshore here anywhere from 50' to 200' of water. There's not much shore diving in Savannah unless your into black water diving.

I've been diving offshore here in Ga. for nearly 20 years and find new sites/wrecks all the time. My boat "Strike Eagle" will be running charters again on weekends after the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Here's several links to video's etc. for coastal Georgia Diving.

Savannahscuba.com

NOAA Grays Reef Video

Seatiger,
I would LOVE some more about your particular diving operation if possible !?!?!?!
So would a lot of others here in the Atlanta area.

Thanks . . .

the K

Hello Kraken

My wife and I manage & own Georgia Offshore/ ScubaMarket USA.. Were a NAUI Platinum & PADI retail dive center.
Our dive operation has been featured in several large publications including Scuba Diving Magazine (Grays Reef) & New York Newsday Magazine (NY Subway cars).
Georgia has many wrecks offshore including WWII Liberty ships, a Ship sank by a
U2 submarine (Esparta), M1 army tanks, Civil war wrecks (Oconee), NY Subway cars,
(8) huge Georgia Navy Towers that resemble oil rigs, the Talmadge Bridge, & numerous other tugboats, barges, etc..
Our dive boat is a 2003 30' Contender that is set up for diving w/ freshwater washdown, DAN O2 kit, and a properly trained & safety minded crew. We can carry six passengers and be at most dive sites in 45 minutes as our boat cruises at 40mph and has a top speed of 55mph in the unlikely event of an emergency. This is great because we can time our departures for the best tides & consequently the least amount of current with the best visability.
The viz can vary dramatically here with the tropical weather, tides & moon phase so timing is everything. This is also why we no longer charter during the tropical storm season.
There's lots to see on the ride out to the dive sites including many Dolphins, Loggerhead & Leather Back Sea Turtles and the Georgia Barrier Islands. The Barrier Islands are for the most part pristine and the same as they were 200 years ago when the first colonists arrived.
Gray's Reef is also offshore here and is one of the major calving grounds for the Right Whales. You can occasionally spot Right Whale's out at Grays in the winter months.

Diving here is an advanced dive and some boat diving experience is a must. We are diving anywhere from 15 to 50 miles offshore here so the trip is not recommended for those who may be prone to seasickness.

Scubaboard Members get a 10% discount on charters and on any purchase from our secure website. :05:
I will work on a special coupon code for this tonight.

Here's a few more links to video's etc for diving offshore here...........

Oconee Anchor Ledge

Georgia Offshore Reef Guide

OK !!!
I was in your store this past March when some of us were headed down to dive Gray's Reef.

Do you sail out of Savannah or Richmond Hill?

seatiger:
We depart from Yellow bluff which is one exit (10 miles) south of the shop. Its much closer to the best diving here leaving out of St. Catherines Sound.

Don't forget about me! I am still really interested in Gray's Reef, although at this point in time March or May might be the earliest I could do (since Thanksgiving Tanked, at least for Grays Reef)

Is there a mailing list I could get on for openings?

Linda

Please PM me your e-mail address and I will definetly get you onboard. I'm going out to Grays tomorrow with some of the crew at the shop to check the viz.

Our charters will resume after Thanksgiving when we get back from the Caribbean.

i plan on diving near savannah for thanksgiving weekend too, got any trips going out or could you point to any that are worth a damn? would love to hop on one to work off that turkey!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom