Saturday's (3/13) Maui pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
"The Pinnacles" at Pu'u Olai, South Maui, 87 feet:

Bigeye Emperor (adult)
031304.jpg

Manual Mode, F5.0 Macro, 1/80, External Strobe

Ever eaten one of those yet? I haven't, but I'm tempted to take one one of these days in some out of the way spot. I've had to remind a few spearfishermen guys I've met that going to popular dive spots to spear them is sort of like taking a rifle to the petting zoo.

They're supposed to taste like lobster. The local fishermen are wierded out a bit by them because their teeth look human, pretty much all molars.

later

Steve
Gilligan:
"The Pinnacles" at Pu'u Olai, South Maui, 87 feet:

Bigeye Emperor (adult)
031304.jpg

Manual Mode, F5.0 Macro, 1/80, External Strobe

I haven't eaten one yet but I also hear they are good. I'm with you as respects spearfishing at dive spots. Unfortunately the Pinnacles are visited by both divers and spearfishermen. Ed Robinson's dive boat was there when my gf and I paddled up on the site.
The Pinnacles at 120 feet are even more spectacular.
I consider them to be two of the best dives in South Maui not counting Molokini. Most of the time the current is just too strong. The last time I did the 120's a Galapagos shark followed us to the surface and hung out under my kayak for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom