Is TG-6 an upgrade from E-PL1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameseg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have an old E-PL1 setup which includes an Inon S2000 strobe, a ZEN wide angle lens and a macro diopter and have gotten some really nice pics from it (often after a bit of Lightroom work).

I'm interested in the TG-6 as a potential replacement. Main reasons are 1) bigger and better LCD screen, 2) ease of use (changing ports on the E-PL1 can be a bit of work), 3) slightly smaller form factor, 4) no more worrying about springing a small leak, 5) easier macro setup, and 6) newer (better?) processor.

Would love to get some feedback on that last point - i.e., would this be an upgrade, a lateral move or a downgrade in terms of picture quality? I currently shoot manual, but I wouldn't say that I'm an expert at it - some trial and error involved to get really good shots. I've appreciated the times on a night dive where I've put it in AP mode and everything seems to come out well. So I expect I can live with the more limited control I would have with the TG-6, as long as the picture quality is there, and I've read some of the info online that describes how to dial in basic settings for best results.

I enjoy shooting a wide range of stuff, from macro to wide angle. My next trip is to Rangiroa, so definitely want to be able to shoot really good wide angle for dolphins. If I get the TG-6 I would definitely get a wide angle lens.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/experience.

Here is a quick comparison of the EPL1, TG6, EPL10:

I considered getting the TG6 when I upgraded from the Sony RX100Va but I eventually went with the Olympus EPL10. Honestly for me, I decided that I make better photos when I am able to focus on 1 type of image per dive day (macro or wide angle, not both) which is what pushed me over to the EPL10.

In a really quick summary between the TG6 and the EPL1, the TG6 has these benefits:
macro mode
image stabilization
more focus points
larger screen
various burst modes
better video options
gps function for phototaging
usb charging
more durable camera body

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Dann. Would be an easier cost/benefit analysis if my existing ZEN dome could be used with the new camera, but clearly that's not the case.

I dont think EPL-1 to TG-6 is an upgrade. I used the EPL-1 until 2013 and then upgrade to OMD EM-5 and then OMD EM-1 Mark 1 until to date.
I was very happy with EPL-1, great image quality - always shoot in manual mode, give me lot of flexibility. Indeed I have to decide what lens to use; and very few occasion was regret with my lens selection, ie. cute dolphin approached me when i put 60mm macro or mating nudis when i was with 7-14mm.
The reason I upgraded was mainly due to lack of-shutter speed.
Last year, I have an opportunity to dive with TG-6 of my friend. Honestly, I was frustrated with the lack of manual control. The 25mm (equivalent) is not wide, particularly with flat port. To be wider, heavy WA wet lens is required, but i dont think can compete with 7-14mm (equi. 14 - 28) or 8mm FE.

Few shots below taken with EPL-1 with Inon D-2000 type-2 more than a decade ago.

bumphead 2 by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

Yawning frogfish by May by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

Anthias & Dawn by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

Ceratosoma trilobatum by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom