Santi elite drysuit review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
When I bought my first drysuit, I went with the cheapest option. Why spend $3000 on a suit when I could get one that will keep my just as dry for $800, I figured?

But when I saw new Santi elites selling for $1900 I decided a thousand dollar discount was too good a deal to pass up, and ordered one. It just arrived from Santi this week, and I took it for a test dive this morning, so wanted to share my thoughts for anyone in the market for a new suit.

Why this suit rocks

・ The large pocket built into the front of the suspenders is awesome. You can store your car keys there, and by simply opening up the suit zipper grab them. No need to take the suit off. So much easier than the shoulder pocket of my FE Halo 3D.

・The material is very flexible and light. My old suit was heavy cordura, and the switch is like light and day. The Santi material supposedly has the strength of cordura, but it's much more comfortable in and out of the water, and dries faster as well.

・Plastic zipper is very easy to open and close compared to the traditional metal zippers.

・Pockets are huge and lovely. I don't use my pockets much, but for those who keep reels, spare masks, etc in your pockets you'll fall in love.

・Si tech silicone neck/wrist seals are phenomenal. This isn't Santi specific, since you can get them on any suit, but wow I will never use latex seals again. The silicone seals were so incredibly easy to get on, zero issues of rolling like I'd sometimes get with latex (especially the neck seal) and they felt ten times more comfortable.

・The suit looks awesome. If you're into diving fashion, at least :)

I'm very happy with the purchase overall. Workmanship looks great, and it's obvious Santi puts a lot of detail and care into their suits. As for the fit, I used the Santi online size measurement chart, and it was spot on for me. Also much easier to reach my tank valves in the Santi than my previous suit, even though the size is roughly the same.

Last edited:
Elite is actually one of their "tougher" suits so glad to hear you found it flexible still.

But when I saw new Santi elites selling for $1900 I decided a thousand dollar discount was too good a deal to pass up, and ordered one. It just arrived from Santi this week, and I took it for a test dive this morning, so wanted to share my thoughts for anyone in the market for a new suit.

How'd you get the deal? Was it a "Santi" sale or a local dive op sale? I can never pass up a discount like that either! :giggle:

How'd you get the deal? Was it a "Santi" sale or a local dive op sale? I can never pass up a discount like that either! :giggle:

Buying from the UK or Europe and paying in US dollars. For whatever reason (well, for one thing, they're made in Poland), the base price of Santi suits is less than in the US and probably Canada. And there is the favorable exchange rate from UK pound to US dollar. I bought my Santi when I was in Europe when the euro was at an all-time low against the US dollar, got my VAT refunded at the airport on departure, and paid all of about USD 20 for Customs duty when I arrived in the US. Except for my suit being screwed up due to some miscommunication among the dealer and Santi--taking months to sort out--it was far less expensive than if I had bought the suit in the US. I'm talking like almost half price.

Elite is actually one of their "tougher" suits so glad to hear you found it flexible still.

Much more flexible than cordura, for sure. We'll see how it handles all the razor sharp rocks here in Okinawa.

I ordered it from DIRDirect, which is a site based in the UK. Like Lorenzoid said, prices on Santi suits are cheaper in the UK, and with the pound weak right now it's far cheaper to buy from overseas :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom