Santa Rosa tomorrow: May 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Just decided to roll over in the morning and get wet. 10% chance of thunderstorms, high around 79F.

I guess anyone who'll be there is already there, but - if anyone wants to join us, we'll be there at 8am NM to get tanks from Stella. :14:

<edit> I just phoned Stella's home to ensure that she'd be there for tanks and fills, the Blue Hole was open and all. She's always there on weekends, but I like to confirm. Seems she's on the way back from Nebraska, but her brother is filling today - and one of them will be there in the morning. :thumb:

Called Jo - she's going to try to meet us in Muleshoe and come for the outing. <edit> Nope, Jo can't go. Just Plainview Jerry and me...

Well, we had a nice little 14 hours round trip with 3 dives and "lunch." Left Plainview at 6.30am (why can't he ever be ready when I pick him up?!), took a couple of stops, got to the Subway on the edge of town right at 9am, picked up a couple of 12" wrapped in separate 6" sandwiches, then hit The Hole. Not many divers left, but more tourists than usual. In fact, the number of kids jumping in and even walking a rope strung across and above the water was much larger than I'd ever seen - probably 'cause I've never dived afternoon on Sunday there before, and it was a warm, pretty day. What else is a Santa Rosa kid gonna' do? Steal hubcaps or jump in The Hole...?

We practiced some various skills, complete dress rehearsal diving with equipment we might take on a Real ocean dive, screwed up with our cameras. I know I'd forgotten to do something the night before: Re-read the manual practice, and test shoot! :D

A few problems:
>> The heads were totally trashed, and no one came by to check on them, much less do anything about it. Jerry even checked the ladies' privy - same shape.
>> Rumor in the fill shop from a regular talking to Stella that the city was hassling divers on Saturday. I don't have any real information, so mark this off as unsupported hearsay, but as much money as we put into that town with hotel revenues & taxes, goods & taxes, etc, it would be nice if they would keep the place decent.
>> Stella was having problems with her compressor pop-off valve and couldn't fill tanks. We just barely got enough already filled for our dives.
>> Stella said that The Hole will be close all of June, not even open on weekends.

I'm going to call the city office tomorrow to discuss some of the above. I'll see if I can acquire more info...??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom