Sanilac - This time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syonker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Gang,

I live in Denver now, but am originally from Frankenmuth and my wife is from Roseville. We are flying in to introduce our new son to the family at the end of the month, and I am trying to figure out if anyone in the area does any diving on the wrecks in Lake Huron (Sanilac area) this time of year? (Thursday or Monday surrounding Halloween are the only days I could manage).

From calling around it sounds like the marinas close down so the "perm dive boats" are proverbially (and literally) "out of gas". Does anyone out there know of a dive leader with a "drop-in" boat that would muster such a trip and if so is anyone interested in playing buddy? :D

...or am I simply out-of-luck on this one?

Regards,

Spencer Yonker

Wow, The dive ops here usually are done the last week of September. You might try and call 4fathoms and see if he will take you. He doesn't keep his boat in the water he drops it in. Be prepared though. That time of year up here BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR especially out on the lakes. Not to mention the seas can get very unpredictable. I know the Wreck diving is more attractive, but if your just looking to get a dive in Might I suggest maybe one of the Quarries in Ohio.

Hi Gang,

I live in Denver now, but am originally from Frankenmuth and my wife is from Roseville. We are flying in to introduce our new son to the family at the end of the month, and I am trying to figure out if anyone in the area does any diving on the wrecks in Lake Huron (Sanilac area) this time of year? (Thursday or Monday surrounding Halloween are the only days I could manage).

From calling around it sounds like the marinas close down so the "perm dive boats" are proverbially (and literally) "out of gas". Does anyone out there know of a dive leader with a "drop-in" boat that would muster such a trip and if so is anyone interested in playing buddy? :D

...or am I simply out-of-luck on this one?

Regards,

Spencer Yonker

I know of charters running up in Alpena this time of year. We just came back two weeks ago. Had pretty good surf. Charter still took us out. Just call around to the different charters and see if they would be willing to take you out.

We found here in Alpena, that the lake has turned, as it does every fall, and vis is for crap. We have had some very strong winds with big waves in the last couple of weeks. Thermocline is much deeper 52 degrees @ 150'.

NOAA finished pulling the bouys in off all of the wrecks this week.

Even during the summer season the ops primarily operate on the weekends only with an occasionally Friday thrown in (complete boat charters being the exception).

I figured it was a long shot.

While I don't have any problem with cold water (I dive a drysuit with Thinsulate Class III Extreme underwear used to diving in the 30s)...would like better vis since I'd likely be filming. Looks like I'll shoot for making a few trips next summer...

Thanks a LOT for all the quick responses.

Regards,

-S

The season is pretty much done on Sanilac Shores. This past weekend was the last for Rec and Tech. I know FF is closed for the winter now and the boat is in storage and brunos moved there boat already too. Thats about it for charters. We did make it out sunday though and diving was good. water temps are still in the 50's and viz was around 15 to 20'.

should be a nice day... , probably be my last dives of the year... (#200 & #201)

lemme know if you wanna come along

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom