Sandy survivors dying - but it happens everywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
But then, everyone needs Carbon Monoxide alarms with battery backup in their homes. Most important this time of year as people start firing up their heaters, but still important year round with water heaters, fireplaces, attached garages, etc. - even in all electric homes. I like one in every bedroom, but then I learned that my daughter's school didn't have one in the whole building - so I got her one for her classroom. They're cheap protection folks, get several and change the batteries in the fall. Just a few stories from the last week...!
But while they are cheap, they are only good for 5 years: Time to replace carbon monoxide alarms - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star

$22 AC/DC: Kidde AC/DC Carbon Monoxide Alarm - Walmart.com

Why would you need one in an all electric home? What would be the source?
Fireplace or attached garage. Then take it with you on overnight trips as most hotels don't have them.

When a car is started by remote, it's supposed to shut off after 10 minutes if the key is not engaged, but some have failed - killing people.

Or as seen in most of the above stories, when an auxiliary generator is used in a blackout.

Side note: You never see them in compressor shacks either, altho most tank CO problems are created internally from overworked compressors I think.

Fireplace or attached garage. Then take it with you on overnight trips as most hotels don't have them.

When a car is started by remote, it's supposed to shut off after 10 minutes if the key is not engaged, but some have failed - killing people.

Or as seen in most of the above stories, when an auxiliary generator is used in a blackout.

Side note: You never see them in compressor shacks either, altho most tank CO problems are created internally from overworked compressors I think.

You people in Texas still use the garage for the car? :D

Agreed, almost every time we have a hurricane come through and leave us without power there's some moron who either kills or nearly kills their family by running a generator in the garage.

We don't have one at home, but only because we do not run engines in the garage, and in the rare ocassion we do use the fireplace we have the windows open.

Agreed, almost every time we have a hurricane come through and leave us without power there's some moron who either kills or nearly kills their family by running a generator in the garage.

We don't have one at home, but only because we do not run engines in the garage, and do not use the fireplace unless we have windows open.
A lot of the Florida victims I listed did not intend to run engines in their garages. Fireplaces are most dangerous after the fire dies out, just smoldering - after you have already closed up. For $22 you can be safer.

Thanks for this reminder..have a smoke alarm but not a CO. Will pick one up!

Last edited:
Thanks for this reminder..have a smoke alarm but not a CO2. Will pick one up!
It's CO for Carbon Monoxide. Just a typo, but still...

Get the AC/DC model. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom