Sandy survivors dying - but it happens everywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, Dandy Don, what started you on the path of CO checking?
I know you are a stalwart advisor and agree to an extent, just curious.
For tank air or buildings?

For tank air, I don't remember my start - but when I did learn about how little is done with newer technology, I just got insulted as well as the feeling of risk. I tried to get off cheaply on analyzers at first, but that's just not possible in the low PPM rage. The more I learned about the risks and accidents, and seeing so little being done by others, I just got into it more. Eh, there's more to that story, but that's the basics.

My interest in CO & buildings kinda grew off that I guess, as well as feeling lucky that I hadn't done myself in living in the old farmhouse before this one - with unvented spaced heaters. :eek: Again, the more I learn about how easy & cheap it is to prevent accidents, but how many are still unprotected in many homes, most hotels, schools even - the more I see a need to bring it up from time to time. There are plenty of others pushing the needs across the US, but still - accidents happen.

My home dive bud thought I was maybe going overboard, I think. He has had close calls and saved by alarms at his home with a smoldering fireplace, and his store with an old heater both - but he didn't seem too interested until I showed him a 5 ppm reading on his air tank once. Then he was with me in Cozumel once when I turned a boat after getting 13 or 17 ppm on all tanks - the exact digits escape me at the moment. After that he became a big fan.

I'd read that home CO monitors should be replaced after 5 to 7 years. One of mine is over 6, still tests ok, and hasn't started End-of-life alerts - which I think all modern units include. Fire Departments get a lot of nuisance calls from dead batteries and End-of-life alerts, and I guess that's better than ignoring an alarm of any kind, but it doesn't take much to replace batteries, check manufacture dates on the back, read online instructions, etc. Periodic testing of the unit should be done anyway, and that sound is clearly different that the others I bet.

I wondered if First Alert might have a replacement program so gave them a call. They said their earlier models had two year sensors and they did sell replacements back then, but now they say to just replace the whole unit, aka "Go buy a new one." I don't know if there's anything harmful in these, but I'll take the next one to where I recycle cell phones just in case.

This time I decided to spend a little more for a combination unit with digital readout and detection for natural, methane, propane gases and carbon monoxide. See Walmart Only $40 with free shipping. Many sites charge $50, $60, $70 and more for the same unit plus shipping, and amazingly Grainger charges $108 for it?! Amazon has 2 suppliers that charge less than $40 but I am not sure about their shipping, and they have 30 that charge more for it - plus 3 with used units! I'd hate to get old stock with an old date and have to return it.

There is also one supplier on Ebay, but when I asked him the manufacture date from the back, he said there was no date on the box. I asked him to look on the back of the unit, but never heard from him again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom