Sandy survivors dying - but it happens everywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's CO for Carbon Monoxide. Just a typo, but still...

Get the AC/DC model. :wink:

Is that the one playing Thunderstruck when its set off? :p

On a serious note though - No attached garage and no fireplace. I do make sure my smoke detector and my extinguishers are working though.

CO is a real danger in a lot of places. When we built our house in Hawaii we installed wired, battery back up, combination detectors, more because that was what was available, rather than that was what's needed. We have no heat (don't need it), no fireplace (fireplace, you must be kidding, we'd have to install A/C if we had one), no garage, all electric except for the cook-top (propane), so now we're putting in a solar and wind, grid-tie with battery back up system, cause electricity here is stupid expensive.

You people in Texas still use the garage for the car? :D

I do, but I'm in the minority.

Why wouldn't anyone use the garage for their car? Protect the vehicle, keep the crooks guessing on whether anyone is home or not, get inside the house without getting rained on, etc. :confused:
On a serious note though - No attached garage and no fireplace. I do make sure my smoke detector and my extinguishers are working though.
I have seen a few stories about people being alerted to a developing house fire by their CO alarm before their fire alarm went off, but there are different types of fire alarms. Not having an attached garage nor a fireplace living in the arctic sounds rough, but if you're all electric and have the best fire alarms, okee dokee. :thumb:

Thanks for bring up extinguishers, altho a good exit plan is also important. I keep a few scattered, but count on a quart size can of baking soda as fire line in the kitchen. I'm afraid a pressurized extinguisher might spread a grease fire before putting it all out.

Is that the one playing Thunderstruck when its set off?
Groan...! :shakehead:

The news stories go on and on...

Had detector, but didn't change batteries: Carbon Monoxide Detector Wasnt Working in Marine’s Apartment

Firefighters know more than most about the dangers, and he probably had a monitor at home: Carbon Monoxide Kills Firefighter on Vacation at the River Ranch Hunt Club in Lake Wales | TheLedger.com

Here's a new one on me: Safety warning over wood pellets storage - Builders' Merchants News

Another need seldom met. I take my own, even to Cozumel: Doctors: Hotels need carbon monoxide alarms

My first CO alarm was plug in with no battery back up, just something I didn't think of at the time, and it's good to have two anyway - so I got another plug-in/battery back-up model. I noticed the first one is 6 years old now, so I ordered this one - CO, natural gas, propane, digital read-out, plug in/battery back-up: First Alert GC01CN Detector - Walmart.com I guess an all electric home wouldn't need that much, but this is the one I will take on overnight trips. :eyebrow:

In CO, there is now a law requiring new structures to have CO detectors installed in residential structures.

In CO, there is now a law requiring new structures to have CO detectors installed in residential structures.
A step in the right direction, many states are doing that - some more, but they do require upkeep and replacement.

What about the hotels there?

A step in the right direction, many states are doing that - some more, but they do require upkeep and replacement.

What about the hotels there?

I don't know about commercial structures. I would expect that new construction will be the qualifier

I don't know about commercial structures. I would expect that new construction will be the qualifier
Ok, it's been in effect since 2009: New Colorado Carbon Monoxide Law - "applies to sales, rentals and remodels of single family and multi-family residences on and after July 1, 2009." No mention of hotels.

I remembered a family of four who won an Aspen-area vacation rental in a fundraiser in 2008, and all died from CO. For some reason the family sued the county, but that failed: Judge nixes monoxide suit against Colorado county | CNS News

I see recent story about an apartment complex with CO alarms, but one still died, one injured - CO alarm unplugged, others failed: Officials say improperly vented furnace led to man's death | apartment, year, colorado - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

It's far from the biggest accidental risk, but so easy to avoid with proper care.

Just curious, Dandy Don, what started you on the path of CO checking?
I know you are a stalwart advisor and agree to an extent, just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom