Sand Dollar or Den Laman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all. We are planning a Bonaire trip early next year. Been there twice and stayed with Buddy Dive. We did like Buddy Dive, but thought it might be nice to try somewhere else. Any thoughts about which property is better? Packages are quite similar, as is the shore diving and dive shop. Looking at the websites, I can't tell any real differences. Thoughts from someone who has stayed at one or both or seen both?
Thanks.

Rob

Hi @peeweediver

I stayed at Sand Dollar in 2004, 2005, and 2008. My wife and I stayed in a one bedroom on two occasions and my wife and 2 children stayed in a two bedroom on one trip. The accommodations were fine but somewhat dated. One or two of the trips had air conditioning in only the bedroom(s) and not the kitchen/living room. I know that some of the units have been nicely upgraded since that time, but not all. I believe the split level air conditioning has also been expanded. The internet access was terrible, I hear that has been remedied. If I were going to stay at Sand Dollar, I would simply make sure I was in an upgraded unit with full air conditioning. I prefer the 2nd floor, but that is personal.

My wife and I stayed at Den Laman last December Den Laman/Dive Friends Bonaire, December 3-14, 2017 and again this August. On both visits, we stayed in one of the ocean front one bedrooms. Tremendous view from the large balcony, great, modern, fully equipped kitchen, comfortable living/dining room, nice bedroom/bathroom with good bed.

Sand Dollar and Den Laman are directly next to each other. They share the great operator, Dive Friends, and both have access to the very good gear storage area, 24 hour tanks, and the pier. The pier has tanks, multiple rinse basins (one just for cameras with adjacent table), and more than adequate set up stations. The pier is the easiest way to access the excellent house reef, Bari Reef. Dive Friends boats also leave from the pier for a 2 tanker each morning at about 8:30 and for a 1 tanker on some afternoons.

So, we have not given Sand Dollar a chance since 2008, but are very happy with Den Laman, we're already planning a return. Message me with any questions.

Enjoy your trip, good diving,

Craig

Thanks, Craig. Great details and overall information. I was leaning this way, but everything was so similar, I was curious about each property.

Rob

+ 1 for Den Laman and I 2nd everything @scubadada said. One other thing to consider is that Sand Dollar is a huge property and the unit you stay in might be a decent distance from the pier and dive shop and locker room. With Den Laman, you are guaranteed to be as close as you can get to all three.

No pool at Den Laman if it matters.

Of course SD's is in the parking lot behind the condos...

Den Laman is at least a decade newer also - probably more.

I have stayed at both over the years.
The biggest issue I have with DL is you have to go up fairly small stairs to get to all the rooms, that said the rooms tend to be a bit nicer.
Technically, you don't have a good beach access with DL but I seriously doubt you will have any issues using the small beach at SD. So far I have not had any issues with the WiFi at SD.
In days gone past when BD&A was the dive shop things were a bit more touchy around the dock but since DF took over the dive op it's nicer.
The biggest down side I can see with SD is you may have to walk a good bit farther to get to the dock but on the up side, there are tables, chairs and grills around SD that you can use. Bottom line, I would be happy at either place.

You wont go wrong either way. Both are good places to stay with a great house reef.

Many of the suites have been renovated by the owners at Sand Dollar. Also, there is a pool which some people enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom