Sanctum - dive movie REVIEW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This movie looks like a dive movie. So this post is for everyone to tell me what they think of the movie.

I should see it later today at our our local theater and will get back on line to review.

Please share your thoughts of this movie. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:popcorn:

...hope it turns out to be more of a 'dive' movie than 'Into The Blue' was, which was a huge waste of potential!

I thought into the blue was fine

I thought the cave was fine too

This will probably go the same way, full of suspense adding BS that divers flip over and as usual they forget its a fictional movie.

I thought the cave was pretty good - its a fiction movie

If people want to sit and nit pic over details go to a documentary film and nit pic over that.

I saw it last night... It wasn't bad, but had potential for so much more...

I also suspect that if I were a cave diver I would have been more frustrated with it..

I took my son to see it last night. The language could have been better, but he was old enough for that.

I thought it was cool to see all the dive gear and the underwater filming looked darn good to me. The re-breather and underwater photography buffs might think different. The plot and acting won't win any awards, but that's not why we went.

Cool thing was when we got home, I showed all my dive gear to my son and he got a kick out of breathing through a regulator for the first time. Who knows, maybe he will get the bug and want to get certified. Now that would be fun to do together.

Movie was Okay, thought it would parallel the real story closer. Best part was the filming, and camera work which was done in a studio setting without computer enhancement, and left you thinking they were in a cave enviroment. It is, what it is- " a fairly entertaining couple of hours" and worth the ticket price.

I was pretty unimpressed by it. I found a few scuba cliche's that were pretty funny (plan your dive, dive your plan, no scuba police) and I think they did an adequate job explaining a couple of things to a non diving audience. I think there was a bit of injustice done by over simplifying some things as well.

Two scenes involving a panic scenario didn't sit well with me. IMO, divers who can't handle those situations shouldnt be diving in a cave period,l much less sump diving in a cave you have to rappel into that's 2km deep. The final scene involved a couple of hotly debated scuba "myths" and I was left wondering why they would choose to deal with equipment failure in that manor, seeing as there were better solutions available.*

All in all, there was a lot of action, some decent scenes, but definitely not something I recommend as a "must see."

*Spoiler tags for my thoughts on that scene described above for those that don't want the ending:
Towards the end one of the breathers isn't working and the hero pulls the diluent tank off the unit and breathes straight from the valve on the final exit. They could easily have kept a reg set on it for the exit. Although this unit didnt actually have a reg, it should have had an inflator which could have been used as a makeshift reg much easier than a swimming exit in a cave manipulating a valve. However, IMO the movie was more about the drama than the action or reality so...

I saw it today. As it was my first current 3D film I enjoyed it. Had it not been in 3D I would have been disappointed. If it comes out on DVD, I will pass it by until it hits the 5 for $5 bin.

I am not a cave diver, but found some of the things that happened a little strange, but it was just entertainment and not a training film.

As mentioned above, I did laugh at the Scuba Police comment.

The movie was a ok watch ....the 3D thing I could have lived without for sure, granted the glasses are getting better but the whole 3D thing has a long way to go ....show me a 2D film shot with a clean crisp picture any day of the week... I say wait for it on DVD in the walmart bargain bucket.

Dave

Were those full face masks they were wearing real equipment or something made up for the movies? And the coms, they were full duplex without a "push to talk" (PTT) feature. All the coms I've seen are single channel PTT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom