San Pedro, Saint Pedro, or Teriyaki Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptFlyingDutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some interesting facts about the San Pedro.

Pedro is approximately 111' in length and 30' wide. Built in Japan and operated by a Korean fishing company. Age is not known. There is much argument about whether the name should be pronounced Saint or San. Many argue that the name should be San due to Pedro being a Spanish name and that would be proper Spanish. Others argue whether that has any bearing since Pedro was not owned by Spanish speakers and Asian translations into English are often creative. However, the name on the stern was St. Pedro #36.

From Mike Doyle, ABS surveyor:
Ship was carrying cargo to be delivered to the fishing fleet in the Pacific, included was bait and foodstuff. In 1975 the ship caught fire off of South Point on the Big Island. All extinguishers were used and then the crew started to use the cargo to attempt to put out the fire. The soy sauce was used on the fire to the detriment of the crew. The fire was eventually put out but with extensive damage to the ship. The ship was towed by the USCG to Kawaihae on the Big Island. After a few days of no refrigeration; the bait and burnt soy sauce began to stink and the people of the area began to call the St. Pedro the "Teriyaki Boat". The boat was bought off of the insurance company by a gentleman of the name of Matt Andrade with intentions of turning her into an inter-island freighter in the south Pacific and had the boat towed to Keehi Lagoon where it stayed for the next two decades. It eventually sank in about 10' of water.

In 1993 State boating workers discovered an incredible mess. The deck was littered with hundreds of containers leaking toxic material. The state began clean up on the boat shortly there after with funding from the EPA "Super Fund" clean up money to handle the toxic material. The Coast Guard and the Army Corps of Engineers assisted the state when it cleaned the St. Pedro of fuel oil, refrigerants, insulation foam and asbestos, flushed the engine and filled 21 roll-off containers with junk. The state intended to tow the derelict 12 miles out to sea and sink it until Atlantis Submarines stepped in to pay for the increased expense of meeting strict EPA, Coast Guard and state health department standards for sinking the ship in shallow water. Atlantis also reimbursed the state Boating and Recreation Divisions for money it had spent to clean up the ship. Atlantis acquired the ship from the Department of Land and Natural Resources on 12/21/95. The ship was sunk on January 11th 1996. Atlantis spent $360,000 on the project.

Atlantis Submarines Oahu - Environmental info on Submarine Tours in Waikiki

I remember once signing a shark/wreck photo St. Pedro, and then being embarrassed by the mistake. Seems my memory links hospital ship service in it's history as well, but that could be another ship.

What! Gabe your briefing changed??

Very good read..... I used plenty of this in breifing yesterday morning!

G

You are welcome. I am trying my best to find some interest history on these wrecks.

Mainly the internet.

I got stuff on must of the major wrecks (YO, San Pedro, Mahi, Sea Tiger, Corsair, Midpacific wings, Airplane canyons, Flt 29 down, LCU)

I have fantasize on writing a book on this.

Back
Top Bottom