San Pedro Lodging Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are two - Tropic Air and Maya Island Air. Maya tend to be cheaper, especially if you pay in cash. But if your international flight is delayed in arriving and you've pre-booked with Tropic, they'll wait for you, sometimes even for several hours. They won't do that if they don't know you're coming, and Maya don't do it anyway. So I'd book on their website with Tropic.

Peter, are you sure about Maya?

I've always thought that if my plane arrived in BZ City late, which made me late for my flight to say, Placencia, that either Maya and Tropic would just put me on the next flight bound for Placencia assuming there's room.

You know, like they do in the US.

Since both airlines fly all over the country nearly every hour I wouldn't think it would be an issue if you miss whatever Topic/Maya flight you booked since another Tropic/Maya plane will be leaving shortly.

Pretty sure yes. Maya have left me standing on a number of occasions, and that's never happened with Tropic. I have flown into Belize very late and well after dark and assumed I'd be staying on the mainland that night, but when i walked through to the local airlines booking room there was the Tropic desk still operating. Maya had gone home. Tropic put me on a flight to San Pedro that didn't take off until after 8:30pm, and I was the only passenger.

On another occasion I had booked on Tropic for the second to last flight of the day, after a shopping visit to Belize City. I knew I was going to miss that flight so phoned them; the last flight of the day was full, but they told me to turn up anyway. I did so, and three of us ended up on a plane that left maybe 30 minutes after the last scheduled departure. Furthemore, I had bought a bicycle on that trip and they dismantled it and carried it without a murmur and at no charge.

By contrast, I bought a round trip ticket from San Pedro to Dangriga with Maya, with booked aircraft. When I returned to Dangriga airstrip, there were four others waiting for the plane to Belize City which I had to board to catch my onward flight to San Pedro. The plane was sitting on the tarmac in front of the terminal, and there it stayed for 2.5 hours. There was nothing wrong with the plane - they simply said it weould be uneconomic to fly just five of us. My would-be travelling companions were furious, as like me they had onward travel arrangements. What should for me have been a 55 min journey ended up taking almost 4 hours. When we did finally fly we got on the plane that had been sitting there for so long, which is how I know there was nothing wrong with it.

I have an even more blatant example. A friend who lives in San Pedro had to go to the US, to Philadelphia. She flew from Cancun to Philly and flew from Belize to Cancun on Maya. She bought round trip tickets for both legs of the journey, with confirmed reservations. When a few days later she returned from Philly to fly on to Belize she was told Maya weren't going to operate the flight that day as there weren't enough passengers, "but her ticket would be valid for tomorrow". She ended up having a 5 hour bus journey, an overnight hotel stay, two taxi rides, and a (shorter) flight with Tropic, with an overall 24 hour delay. It took her several weeks to get a refund from Maya, who wanted only to give her a credit. Guess who will NEVER again fly with Maya.

I am in absolutely no doubt. Fly Maya if you don't have a schedule, have cash and want to save money (30% or even more). Fly Tropic if you want to be certain of getting there.

Perhaps what you surmised above is true, that either airline will put you on the next flight "assuming there's room". But that flight (probably) won't go if it's not full and it's Maya, whereas even if the plane is full Tropic will (probably) get you there, on your own private plane if necessary.

"You pays your money and you takes your choice".

Apologies to mahjong for hijacking this thread but since you've already decided to fly rather than take the ferry hopefully you don't mind.

Peter, what's your advice on my June trip?

I'll arrive in BZ City at 10:30 am, then fly on to Placencia. Tropic advises a 45 minute allowance between incoming and outgoing flights, which seems appropriate.

Looking at their respective websites, both airlines run a flight to Placencia a little after noon and arrive around one o'clock. Maya leaves and arrives 10 minutes earlier than Tropic. And the price is the nearly the same--Tropic's a US quarter more, lol.

Given that June's the low season and there will probably be seats available on either airline, do you think I should take my chances, refrain from booking in advance and show up at the Maya counter with an offer to pay cash in hopes of a discount? Assuming a discount of 30%, I'd save almost $40. It's not like I'm on a tight timeline, but I did promise Ralph I'd buy him lunch when I arrive in Placencia and don't want to stand him up. And the cost of gas is projected to keep going up, so I might be better off to lock in the price now.

As an aside, my only personal experience with either airline was my flight from Placencia to BZ City last year on Maya. I was the only passenger until we stopped in Dangriga and picked up around six or eight people there. I booked the flight a few days before on their website with my credit card so no experience with a cash discount. That flight was almost $20 cheaper than the current one, btw.

Last edited:
I really can't advise you. Given that you're not scheduled to arrive late in the day, I'd say you could safely leave it to chance and try bargaining. Whether Maya are in the mood to give discounts from BZE remains to be seen though. If I were in your position I'd leave booking, but that ISN'T A RECOMMENDATION!!

Ralph and Patty were due up here a while back and I was going to buy them a meal I owe them, but they never showed up...

Got it.

I'll probably go ahead and book the flight in advance. After reading your horror stories about Maya, I think I'd rather just go with Tropic. Hopefully, they'll ignore their 35 pound bag limit or just charge a fee.

I know from experience it's not easy buying a meal for Ralph and Patty. I "took" them to dinner several times last year, and somehow they always managed to pay the bill without me noticing. I finally had to resort to instructing the waiter that he was not to accept payment from them under any circumstance or there would be no tip. :D

I've never known either Tropic or Maya enforce their baggage rules. I've taken some dreadfully overweight packages with me, and they've never even commented. I've told you about some bad experiences with Maya, but many people here use them all the time without problem. It isn't that black & white.

Back
Top Bottom