San Marcos / Comal Rivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We have a small group headed to do some snorkeling/scuba diving in the rivers this weekend. Anything to watch out for? Thinking about the SM river near the River Pub Grill and Comal before the tube chutes. Anyone else planning on being down there?

Hi Jarrett...everything is cool with the SM river...it is just very very low...I think when they re did the dam at Rio Vista they may have not positioned the rock high enough so of course not as much water is held back....also we haven't had any rain in several months....but it is still cool and wet....your deepest parts are going to be up close to the falls at Joe's Crab Shack and in Sewell Park at the bend of the river...and maybe under the railroad tressel as you near the dam....maybe 10ft max but I could be wrong haven't been in it this summer....anyone else know??? IMO the Comal is a better river to dive...you might also check out Canyon Lake at North Park same general area just a bit west...

Thanks Ann! What's the depth/viz at North Park? We have a snorkeler in the group and want to stay fairly close.

Jarrett:
Thanks Ann! What's the depth/viz at North Park? We have a snorkeler in the group and want to stay fairly close.

Viz prolly 6 ft at best...right now the lake is low usually the depth is around 25-30' aways out from the shore...then drops off a bit...but I don't usually go much below the thermocline and I do not know at what depth it is at this time...a couple of threads below this one Shaggie I think, gives a brief report

yep here it is http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=155812...when are you guys heading down and what is the plan...still don't have my tanks back but may try to look you all up when you get here...

We were going to kinda wing it. Thinking of getting the San Marcos river tomorrow. Probably starting at Joe's around 10am or I'd guess. Then might move own to the River Pub Grill after that and check out those little pools around the dam. Then its pretty much up in the air after that. Maybe run down to Comal late Saturday afternoon or possibly hit it Sunday AM sometime.

We have tanks with us and as long as the shop is still open in San Marcos, we can get fills. So if you want to borrow one and tag along, feel free. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom