San Juan Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are making our first trip to San Juan Island, Friday Harbor area this June and are hoping to get our fins wet a couple of times. Where is a good place to get some info on dive sites, conditions, operators, etc? Any suggestions would be great.

My wife and I are making our first trip to San Juan Island, Friday Harbor area this June and are hoping to get our fins wet a couple of times. Where is a good place to get some info on dive sites, conditions, operators, etc? Any suggestions would be great.

<$.02>
It's been quite a while, so my info may not be up to date, but as far as I know the dive shop that used to be in Friday Harbor is now part of Bandito/Naknek Charters operation and is used mostly as support to the San Juans charter (meaning they aren't open all the time for walk-ins) that can pick ypu up in Friday Harbor. Which is what I recommend you do; I've dove a few spots around San Juan Island and they were far, far inferior to what you'll get from the Naknek. The currents around the island can be troublesome if not dangerous, and the spots I've been (off San Juan Island park, American Camp beach, and near Roche Harbor) were nothing to write home about.</$.02>

Can you tell me more about Bandito/Naknek Charters operation? I live in southern Idaho and am not familiar with the area.

I concur with the recommendation to go out on a charter. For people not familiar with Puget Sound waters, the currents can be confusing and downright dangerous if you are in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Kurt runs an excellent charter. The boat holds about 14 divers very comfortably. There's a dry cabin that is heated. They do not have a compressor on board, so you have to bring your own tanks (I would assume they know where you could rent them.) The San Juans are beautiful in the summertime, although you may run into some fairly poor visibility in June, due to algae blooms.

Send me a PM closer to when you'll be here -- maybe Peter and I will come up and join you on a boat!

The best shore dive on Friday Harbor is at Lilm Kiln Lighthouse. It a wall dive that is current dependent and requires a long walk and then a rocky entrance. Nice dive though.

Most of the other shore dives on SJ Island are fairly easy to get to and into the water but they are shallow and as was mentioned are nothing to write home about.

The boat dives are great however as it does get deeper and rocky walls with current produce a lot of life.

If the only reason you are going to SJ Island is to dive than it's probably easier to just do day trips out of Anacortes but if you are there to camp or otherwise enjoy the island then that's different of course.

San Juan Island campground is scenic and it's not uncommon for a pod of Orcas to pass by. There are actually two different dives that can be done right from the campground as long as you are there anyway.

SJ Island is also home to some of the most aggressive crows you will ever encounter...don't leave your car doors open if you have any food around and don't leave any food on the picnic tables even if it is sealed.:wink:

Boat diving there is great however...have fun!

Give us a call. We are the only dive charter operation based in Friday Harbor and the only full time dive charter in the San Juans. We would love to show you the the best cold water diving in America! We have great invertabrate life with lot of nudibranches, urchins, sea cucumbers, and great fish life with several types of Rockfish (copper, quill back, yellow tail, yellow eye, puget sound, black, china, etc), octopus, wolf eels, etc. Give us a call, you'll love it! Anything we can do to make your trip better/more memorable! Thanks for all the good referalls guys! See you soon! Did I mention the site where the bow of the boat can be on the rocks and the depth sounder will read 500 ft?

Sorry didn't mention the shore diving. Not much shore diving in the San Juan Islands. There are a few - Lime Kiln, Dead Mans Bay, Ruben Tarte, Eagle Cove. Most have a long hike and/or are very current sensitive. Give a call and I will give you as much information as I can.

Give us a call. We are the only dive charter operation based in Friday Harbor and the only full time dive charter in the San Juans. We would love to show you the the best cold water diving in America! We have great invertabrate life with lot of nudibranches, urchins, sea cucumbers, and great fish life with several types of Rockfish (copper, quill back, yellow tail, yellow eye, puget sound, black, china, etc), octopus, wolf eels, etc. Give us a call, you'll love it! Anything we can do to make your trip better/more memorable! Thanks for all the good referalls guys! See you soon! Did I mention the site where the bow of the boat can be on the rocks and the depth sounder will read 500 ft?

Where in the San Juans can you see China Rockfish? I thought they were a coastal fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom