San Francisco Visitor 01-07 December 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm going to be visiting San Francisco for a conference during 01-07 December and am hoping to log a few dives. I did some shore dives in Monterrey a few years ago so am curious of sites a little further north. Planning to bring my own gear including drysuit and singles rig with the obvious exception of tanks and weights. I'm actually staying in Oakland (Homewood Suites Oakland-Waterfront, 1103 Embarcadero) though the conference is in downtown SF at the Hilton Union Square.

Might locals be able to help out by providing insights into any of the following?

- Are there any boat diving charters during the week or evenings?
- Is it possible to dive in San Fransisco Bay near Alcatraz Island?
- What shore sites are nearby and recommended? Any kelp forests?
- What dive shops might be recommended for (nitrox) steel tank and weight rentals? Obviously prefer shops closer to my hotel in Oakland.
- Are dive flags required?

And anything else that folks can add for local SF diving will be appreciated!

I don't think anyone dives in SF Bay, unless they have a thing for black water with 3 inch visibility. Haven't experienced it myself, but I got certified at a shop in SF, and when one of the students asked why we had to drive to Monterey for our checkout dives instead of just hopping into the Bay, the instructor related his few experiences doing it, and it sounded about as fun as diving in a septic tank. From my understanding, tons of sediment collects and just sits in the Bay, so the visibility is 0.

The Sonoma coast doesn't look too shabby, though. I hear vis is around 10ft.

The Sonoma coast can have great conditions, or it could suck.

It has zero support facilities for diving and you'd absolutely need an experienced local guide to dive there with any reasonable expectation of safety.

I love diving the Sonoma coast, but there's no way I would recommend it to a visitor the aforementioned guide. Just getting to the water can be challenging. Making the "go / no go" decision would be a major problem without local experience. Plus, everything you need or may need has to be hauled out there. Heck, it's a 1/2 hour drive from the dive locations just to get some momentary cell phone coverage.

You'd be much better served heading down to Monterey, where conditions tend to be better and there is considerable support infrastructure.

That said, you can check out the local dive club's site for more info. www.northcoastdivers.org.

The only people who dive in SF are the divers at the two aquariums, Port of SF's commercial dive crew, and the Habitat division at the Rain forest Cafe. Out of those bunches, only PoSF dives directly in the bay.

So you're looking at diving in Monterey or North of SF; Sonoma area.
Dive boats are only in Monterey and usually don't run on the weekdays; dive flags are only required for boat diving (which the boat crew handles)

According to Aquarium of the Bay, avg depth of the bay is about 15ft, with 370ft being below the Golden Gate. I'm pretty sure you'll be scrapping boat bottoms near Alcatraz, so that's another reason why no one dives the bay.

Dive flags are not required in California, boat diving or shore diving. It makes no sense to try to tow one through the kelp. They do make sense on a boat.

The only requirement is to NOT display one when not diving.

See http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/diveflag.html

Monterey is the place for most visitors to go diving. Boats tend to run only on weekends, and any diving is always dependent on weather.

I have dove in the bay (Bottom cleaning) and vis was well...2ft so not too bad. I plan to take the boat out after an incoming tide during slack and dive just outside the gate in a cove that is loaded with fish on the sonar. It seems like it would also be fun to drift into the bay on the headlands side but with all the possible fishing line, I am not going to do it. As to Alcatraz the current rips through there. Think raging river...except during slack tide.

The North Coast is my home turf, and not somewhere most people dive as the vis tends to be less than Monterey, and there are fewer diveable days. As Fisheater mentioned you either have to pack your gear pretty far to the water, or across slippery grapefruit sized rocks.

The reality is you are probably closer to Monterey time wise. If you can try to get a day at Pt Lobos State park. A local guide can show you great vis, and some spectacular structure.

Thank-you to each for your insightful responses! I like the no dive flag as it is always a PITA to drag it along.

It sounds like my best option will be to return to Monterrey which is beautiful as well. Are there any specific shops that folks recommend for rentals?

I'm particular to Seven Seas. Friendly crew, big steel tanks, and soft weights (if you actually prefer those).
Plus they're holding a scavenger hunt. If you find one of four marked orange soft weights at breakwater, you get a gift card.

Bamboo Reef is my second pick.

That scavenger hunt looks pretty fun. Guess if coral street is blown out, I'll be on the hunt for Orange weights :) I am particular to bamboo reef because the staff is friendly, never tried to up-sell me, and have decent prices.

That scavenger hunt looks pretty fun. Guess if coral street is blown out, I'll be on the hunt for Orange weights :) I am particular to bamboo reef because the staff is friendly, never tried to up-sell me, and have decent prices.

Yeah, if they were to sell me some of the contents in their vintage cabinet, they'd be number one on my list :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom