San Diego in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoke to waterhorse. They said they were changing the sat trip from local to the islands to assure better conditions

Could not make the Islands because I did not bring my passport.

So, going with Marissa Sat on the two wreck/one kelp trip. Topside weather looks perfect so we will see what the water is like. Really looking forward to this!

Please report back. I'm trying to make a trip in a couple of weeks. This work thing is cramping my style.

Well, California was beautiful as always, but the diving was a no-go. Forecast was good and no wind topside, but by the time Friday and Saturday rolled around, so had 10-20 swells from who-knows-where! All the boats cancelled and even though Sunday was calmer, the water was so stirred up that it was no good. By Monday the wind kicked up and very rough, again.

So, no diving this time, much to my disappointment.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info in this thread. Maybe broncobowsher will have better luck in a few weeks. Like Florida, it all seems weather-dependent at the last minute.

I have to check the swell models and live beach cameras up until an hour before I go out. We have a lot of great diving days every year but when it's bad, you're better off sleeping in. It's hard to make dive plans more than a few days in advance.

@guyharrisonphoto

Guy
I am personally disappointed that you did not have the opportunity to dive where it all began in San Diego-- Hopefully you will return - and soon and often !

I have yet to uncover that now probably 30 year old letter you sent me about an article that appeared in my Discover Diving magazine column "The way it was. " I suspect it will probably be unearthed this next week - Alex Pierce is arriving momentary for his yearly visit and it will be 24 X 7 dive discussions.

Take care old dear friend

SAM

Well, California was beautiful as always, but the diving was a no-go. Forecast was good and no wind topside, but by the time Friday and Saturday rolled around, so had 10-20 swells from who-knows-where! All the boats cancelled and even though Sunday was calmer, the water was so stirred up that it was no good. By Monday the wind kicked up and very rough, again.

So, no diving this time, much to my disappointment.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info in this thread. Maybe broncobowsher will have better luck in a few weeks. Like Florida, it all seems weather-dependent at the last minute.
Too bad. There was a dry front that came through the Southwest over the weekend, that is probably the foul weather.

I just got word that I am not making it in a couple of weeks afterall. This pesky little work thing. It only puts a roof over my head and pays for this gear. Guess in the long run I need to keep working, I'll take a few days off another time.

@guyharrisonphoto

Guy
I am personally disappointed that you did not have the opportunity to dive where it all began in San Diego-- Hopefully you will return - and soon and often !

I have yet to uncover that now probably 30 year old letter you sent me about an article that appeared in my Discover Diving magazine column "The way it was. " I suspect it will probably be unearthed this next week - Alex Pierce is arriving momentary for his yearly visit and it will be 24 X 7 dive discussions.

Take care old dear friend

SAM
I was let down, but that's nature. Just seeing La Jolla Cove was great, as well as Scripps and Birch Aquarium (a little substitute for diving at least). Lots of sea lions on the rocks as La Jolla and a couple of crazy swimmers in bikinis, with snorkels and fins, in the 58 degree rough water and cold wind. They lasted about 5 mins, but even that, wow. By Tuesday I saw one diver gear up and walk down the steps, but the swell was so big he turned around and left. We did have a huge treat as the skies cleared for the super blood moon eclipse and our hotel had a roof deck with fire pits for a perfect view on Sunday night.

I had a boat itinerary that sounded great (two wrecks and a kelp dive) but will have to wait till next time.

You take care too. I hope one day we will meet in person.

And, now that I am back in Florida, more diving awaits!

To throw salt in the wound, La Jolla Shores this morning was probably the clearest I've ever seen it with +40ft vis. Unfortunate that you missed it by a week...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom